Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how do I preview songs within iTunes list of songs on my iPod Shuffle?

I want to hear what songs are on my iPod shuffle with their listed title , so I know what to keep and what to delete.

Because, when you know you want to delete some songs, but do not remember all the titles.

iPod shuffle, Windows 7

Posted on Jul 25, 2012 7:32 PM

3 replies

Jul 25, 2012 11:50 PM in response to alteringmyleif

Select the shuffle in the iTunes sidebar, under DEVICES. The next step depends on whether your shuffle is 1st or 2nd gen, or if it is 3rd or 4th (current) gen. If you don't know, this article shows the four types

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1719

1st or 2nd gen - Look over to the right and click on the Contents tab. That screen shows the list of songs currently on the shuffle. You should be able to play them off the list. With a 1st or 2nd gen shuffle, when you do this, you are actually playing the song file that is in your iTunes library (on computer), not the song file that is currently stored on the shuffle (but they should be the same).

3rd or 4th gen - Click on the little triangle next to the shuffle (in sidebar) to "drop down" the iTunes media categories (indented under shuffle). Select Music. Over to the right, you should see a list of songs that are currently on the shuffle. If you have the shuffle set to Manually manage music (on the shuffle's Summary tab), you should be able to play them off the list. If you use automatic syncing, the song list should be visible, but "grayed out" (not accessible); you need to play the songs from the playlist(s) you sync automatically to the shuffle (in your iTunes library).

Jul 26, 2012 2:12 PM in response to alteringmyleif

My bad... I just tried that with my 1st gen shuffle, and you are right. It does not play from the Contents listing. Maybe this was changed, because I'm pretty sure I did it before (but that was a few years ago). Or maybe my memory is fading... 🙂

In any case, perhaps I can offer a work-around. The "work-around" is actually a more convenient way to do what you want, in my opinion.

I fill my shuffle using the Autofill feature, which is at the bottom of Contents tab. I created a playlist in iTunes that only has songs I want on my shuffle. I use Autofill to load my shuffle from that one playlist.

I can update my "shuffle" playlist at any time (adding and removing songs), even when the shuffle is not connected. I can listen to songs on the playlist at any time. When I connect my shuffle, I can use Autofill again to update the shuffle with any changes to the playlist.

Be sure to check Autofill settings. In your case, the option to Replace all items when Autofilling should NOT be checked.

how do I preview songs within iTunes list of songs on my iPod Shuffle?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.