Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I can't install Mountain lion. It says my HD is locked

I am having problems installing mountain lion on my MacBook Pro. I downloaded the software and restarted my computer. It takes me to the install screen and I click through and agree to the terms and conditions. it asked me to select where I want to install Mountain lion and I try to click on my Macintosh HD and it says it is locked. I tried to bring it back to lion, but it did the same thing. It just says that my hard drive is locked or can't find it. Please help me figure out what to do.

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion

Posted on Jul 25, 2012 7:28 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 27, 2012 4:30 AM

I'm having the same issue!

34 replies

Jul 27, 2012 8:09 PM in response to danielfromwhitman

How did they make that determination?

Drives fail. There isn't really anything that can predict when. Some last years and years and some die pretty quickly.

The SMART status watches the drive for signals that might mean failure. The results of those checks shows up in Disk Utility at the bottom of the screen. It should say verified. However, I had a drive that was acting strange. It was having trouble reading a certain sector and would hang up the machine. Repairing the disk and other things would fix it for a small time, then it would start up again. SMART status was verified the whole time until the drive pretty much stopped.

Jul 27, 2012 8:52 PM in response to danielfromwhitman

I had the same thing happen when I attempted to upgrade from Snow Leopard. My files are not gone. (It loads the installer off the disk. So the disk is working.) I rebooted in Single User mode (held down command S during bootup). Following directions at the prompt and using fsck_hfs revealed that my disk is write locked!

Now things make sense. The OS installer write locked the drive. That is why the diskutility can't repair the drive! Genius bug!!! I took the drive out of my power book, put it in an external enclosure, plugged it into my old Mac Mini and am backing it up.

Even the genius instructions reveal the drive isn't bad: 'backup and format'. DUH! Why would they tell you to use a bad disk in the future. It isn't bad. It is write locked. Thanks! Not what I expected. How do I remove the write lock? Come on, backing up through USB, then writing back through USB is going to take 20 hours. This bug is wasting my time!

These aren't drive failures. They only happen every time I update the opperating system! The drive may need a fsck before installing the OS, but can't be fixed while write locked. Nobody told me to fsck before updating the OS, and nobody told me how to remove the write lock. Where is the manual?

Jul 27, 2012 10:14 PM in response to danielfromwhitman

I had a similar issue. I can't recall all the steps, the solution just occured to me right away and I didn't pay much attention.

I was trying to install from a partition on an external drive. I got this error message, similar to yours; I chose to quit and it brought me to a screen to select what drive to install from (there were icons of the two drives side by side); I chose my Mac's HD and it requested my Admin password, which I entered; there was another step after that where I could cancel again and got back to the same screen where I could select which drive to install from; I chose my external drive. This time I didn't get the error message.

Hope this will help, sorry I can't be more precise.

Jul 28, 2012 6:30 AM in response to danielfromwhitman

They made the determination because my hard drive would not appear in the selectable box. And when it did appear it was great out and said it was locked. I also tried to go back to lion, I couldn't do the same thing that's what I told me that my hard drive is failing. I was in disk utility it said that the disc is fine I could also repair it and it was fine the hard drive must be giving false reports because of it being locked and grayed out but this utility said it was fine.

Aug 19, 2012 8:13 PM in response to danielfromwhitman

The fix is not in terminal, it's not some command . . The way to unlock a drive in disk utility is to double click on the locked drive in the left column. You will be prompted for your admin password. Enter it in, and that's that.

I stumbled upon it by accident when I hit the same wall trying to do a clean install of Mountain Lion, and once I unlocked it, I was able to erase my Lion partition (AFTER BACKING UP OF CORSE), verify the hard drive, then format that drive, and now, no more Lion. Actually, once you do the previous steps, there's no more anything after you erase and format, until you install the new OS X.

:-)

I can't install Mountain lion. It says my HD is locked

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.