Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mountain Lion Install Problems

Hello, everyone! I (obviously) recently bought Mountain Lion (or ML) and am having problems. I have looked around for support, but to no avail.

Here's the problem:

When I installed ML from the App Store, it took time to download, and I was excited for the install! When I opened it up, I agreed to the liscence agreement, and pressed next. When I clicked on the Macintosh HD, it (to the left of the Macintosh HD) said, "This disk cannot be used to start up your computer." I pressed back, then next, and the popup was still there, and under OSX Mountain Lion it said, "OS X cannot be installed on 'Macintosh HD'." I am frustrated, and have been searching for the solution today, and no one has the same problem.

Side Note - Disk Utility was looked at, and I tried to verify the disk, and its permissions, and it told me to repair it, and I had to stop it at one point. I am very cautious and careful about my data! Please help me, and be nice! Thanks.

-Vemir

P.S. If you need any information about my MacBook Pro, please let me know, and where the information is. I checked the compatibility list for ML, and it seems to check out. I also completed any software updates. Thanks again!

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Jul 25, 2012 8:11 PM

6 replies

Jul 26, 2012 2:52 PM in response to rodfromvic

1st you need to make sure that mountain lion can be instaled on your apple go to the ML website and make sure you meet the requirment

2nd if your apple is listed you need to be on a updated 10.7 lion make sure your apple is updated first and its runing 10.7

3rd lunch the ML app and it sould work

Usually if you get this msg your apple is older that 2007

let me know what happen

Jul 26, 2012 3:20 PM in response to weekame

Hi weekame,

Thanks for your advice. I have now restored my hard drive after 19 hours from T capsule. Checking as you suggested revealed macbook pro early 2011 and latest Lion version. So I should be good to try to reinstall mountain lion but I do not want to go thru another 19 hours of restoration. Is there anythying else I can check to imporve the likelihood of a successful install?

Jul 27, 2012 5:47 PM in response to Vemir

Anyone having a problem installing Mountain Lion becasue youget an error that this disk is used for Time Machine backup then you should follow the instructions at this link:http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2986

If the spot light search does not find backups.backupdb folder then Click on Finder menu the tool bar then open preferences. Click on Sidebar icon at the top and under Devices to check the box next to your machine name. Now open finder, under devices, click on your machine name. You should now see the backups.backupdb folder. Follow the instruction from aboe link and you should be good to go. Good Luck!

Mountain Lion Install Problems

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.