Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

is 256 gb flash memory enough on the new macbook retina display?

really do not want to pop for another 600 $$ -- I don't store movies, just some music and pictures BUT

does the new display cause files/future programs to demand more storage? I think that is the big unknown.

would like to feel safe buying the entry level machine (2199 is really enough once you add in the drive, time capsule, apple care upgrade)

Thoughts?

iPhone 4, iOS 5, iPad (original)

Posted on Jul 25, 2012 8:48 PM

5 replies

Jul 25, 2012 8:53 PM in response to jenskar2

You can always purchase external hard drives if 256 isn't enough for you. I've had ~250GB on my back-up Windows laptop and 250GB on my 2009 MBP, and they've lasted me a solid 3 years.

Mind you, I have tons of music and pictures on both laptops. Displays shouldn't demand much space. If you think about it, major applications may demand max 4-5GB of space, something which can be willingly spared. Unless you're a video-editor, I doubt you'll need a ton of space. If you ever do need space, get external SDDs.

Jul 25, 2012 8:58 PM in response to jenskar2

I think that 256GB would be just fine. I had a 120GB drivve on my old 2006 MBP and just had to store my iTunes and photos on an external drive. I have a 512GB SSD now and I store about 170GB of music on it with the rest on an external HD. If I subtract that from the remainder used, I'm actually only using about 131 GBs.

So my opinion is that you'd be just fine.

Clinton

is 256 gb flash memory enough on the new macbook retina display?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.