Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Upgrade from Lion Server to ML Server - Configuring Services

Hello all,

I am upgrading from Lion Server to Mountian Lion server, and the Configuring Services has taken about two hours with no movement on the status bar, just the whirling dervish and "Upgrading Services" below it.

For those of you that upgraded, how long did this part take?

Also, when I try to quit the application, I get a

"Service configuration is in progress.

Quitting now will interrupt service configuration. It is recommended that you wait until configuration is complete before closing server."

[OK]

(that's the only option)

Thanks for any help.

Jeff

Mac OS X (10.7.3), Lion Server

Posted on Jul 25, 2012 9:45 PM

5 replies

Jul 25, 2012 9:56 PM in response to JeffDempsey

OK, of course, right after I post this (actually, about 3 minutes afterward), it completes, but fails to upgrade my settings.

This is a complete disaster. Either I downgrade back to Lion Server, or, if anyone knows how to retry the configuration upgrade, I'm game to hear it. I had quite a custom setting for mail, and I don't want to recreate it with multiple domain names for e-mail for each user, and such.

Jul 25, 2012 10:22 PM in response to JeffDempsey

As always with Any OS 10.X.X server upgrade to the newest version, the upgrade process always hangs.. I've always had to manually migrate things over since OS 10.2 Server and Up. The worse upgrade process was going from OS 10.6.8 Server to 10.7.X Server.

Thanks for checking, I'll just manual migrate stuff and skip the upgrade process then...

Sep 27, 2012 9:31 AM in response to JeffDempsey

Denis F is correct; I had a similar issue moving from 10.7 to 10.8 server. Hung forever and killed my ARD license and ate all remaining available HDD space (logs ballooned, and swap files galore, yay). Killed the process, deleted server and the corresponding directories (/library/server) and re-installed. Had to adjust permissions on shares/images to get NetInstall working again but it's up now.

In my particular in environment, I happen to know our DNS is muddy from a failed DC that the network engineers never cleaned up. This prevents profile manager / wiki / etc from working and was likely a mitigating factor to the failure to configure services. 10.8 server is a pretty underwhelming product imho, but I can't entirely blame it since AD is giving it confusing info.

Hope this helps someone. My advice would be to backup & manually migrate, as this is the second time migration has been a PITA. I miss 10.6 server & when Apple at least pretended to care about enterprise...

Upgrade from Lion Server to ML Server - Configuring Services

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.