Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mountain Lion stops Thunderbird SMTP

Since installing Macbook Mountain Lion OS X yesterday, Thunderbird 14.0 smtp does not work:

---------

Sending of message failed.

Please verify that your Mail & Newsgroups account settings are correct and try again.

--------

This for both the previously working smtp entries under Lion.

Thunderbird also fails to save in my remote (IMAP) drafts directory, presumably because it is using smtp.

Apple Mail sends OK.

My IMAP incoming for both programs is working.

There is "OS X Mountain Lion stops SMTP" on http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewforum.php?f=39

Others have an identical issue (receiving but not able to send), but some are OK.

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion, 8GB ram

Posted on Jul 25, 2012 10:08 PM

14 replies

Jul 26, 2012 12:34 AM in response to clintonfrombirmingham

I have the problem with Apple Mail - receiving mail (imap) works ok, but I cannot send to the smtp server. I can ping the server, but mail pretends it cannnot find it. I am using smtp without encryption (configuration prescribed by my company). This is quickly becoming a huge problem for me - so hopefully apple can address this quickly!

there is more frustration after the upgrade - parallels stopped working - I received an email that the upgrade to monutain lion would break parallels after I upgraded ..

Jens

Jul 26, 2012 12:48 AM in response to jens nz

ok,

I have made some progress - in my case I have to disable "use default ports (25,465,587)" and enable "Use custom port: 25". So, if you are in the same situation, try to figure out which port you need (have a look here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simple_Mail_Transfer_Protocol), and then enter it explicitly as custom port.

Something is not right here - I suspect there is a bug in the main config ui - the label shown does not correctly reflect the actual settings. Is it actual possible to open an apple bug?

Cheers, Jens

Aug 7, 2012 1:53 PM in response to tonyfirshman1

He folks, I have to agree after a restart and ticking "use custom port" and setting it to 25 it works. Will see how long :-( Its the dam´ thing that companies nowadays do not develop their products to a good end. They want to be fast on the market and want to have lots of money for their fuc... managers and we, the users are used as beta testers :-( Hope that Apple is going to bring a fix for all that multiple faults in their "state of the art" OS. I used to shout about my Windows 7 PC, but now as it seems, Apple isn't better than Bill Gates products anymore. A big shame on Apple..!!!!!!!

Oct 5, 2012 4:23 PM in response to jweastman

Hi jweastman,

thx for your post, but it did not work for me:-( I´ve tried some other mail programs and how funny, Entourage from Microsoft is doing a well job on my MacBook:-) Strange thing is, that I use the exact same settings that I have for Apple Mail and Thunderbird, but both refuse to establish a connection.

Enjoy...!

Mountain Lion stops Thunderbird SMTP

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.