Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mountain lion will not install and sends me to support/no-recovery

I can't load Mountain Lion since it doesn't support recovery any way around this glitch

Posted on Jul 25, 2012 10:34 PM

6 replies

Aug 27, 2012 7:17 PM in response to dlo3854

I tried and failed for several hours to install Mountain Lion, and was repeatedly getting the "Recovery System" cannot be created error. I tried all the tricks: resizing the drive partition, booting from an external boot drive, all to no avail. After reading other users struggling with the same issue, I had determined it to be a boot camp drive error. However, I didn't want to have to erase and begin anew when I came upon a possible solution. I had long ago renamed my boot camp drive with a "." (".windows" for me) in order to avoid having the partition show up on my desktop. So, I boot into windows and renamed the c: drive without the "." ("windows"), and reboot into os x. The install then went off without a hitch. I hope this will be helpful for others struggling with this issue that may have renamed their boot camp drives in a similar manner.

Sep 2, 2012 1:24 PM in response to dlo3854

Hi,

I had the same problem, unable to install Mountain Lion due to recovery problem. After a long investigation I found out that my Recovery HD partition was only 613.6MB and it should appearently be 650MB !

--- BEFORE ---

$ diskutil list

/dev/disk0

#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER

0: GUID_partition_scheme *120.0 GB disk0

1: EFI 209.7 MB disk0s1

2: Apple_HFS Macintosh HD 119.1 GB disk0s2

3: Apple_Boot Recovery HD 613.6 MB disk0s3

What I did to solve this was to delete the Recovery HD partition using the following steps:

* In terminal window write the following: defaults write com.apple.DiskUtility DUDebugMenuEnabled 1

* Go to Disk Utility where you now should have debug menu. Select the option to show all paritions.

* Delete your Recovery HD partition.

* Make sure that you have at least 650MB free on your OSX drive. If not decrease the size of your OSX partition.

* Install Mountain Lion and it will then automatically create a new Recovery HD partition.

--- AFTER ---

$ diskutil list

/dev/disk0

#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER

0: GUID_partition_scheme *120.0 GB disk0

1: EFI 209.7 MB disk0s1

2: Apple_HFS Macintosh HD 118.9 GB disk0s2

3: Apple_Boot Recovery HD 650.0 MB disk0s3

I hope this can be helpful to someone.

Mountain lion will not install and sends me to support/no-recovery

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.