Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ML - where has my "Displays" menu bar icon gone?

I'm using an external monitor and before the Mountain Lion update I used to have the handy little icon that let me select resolutions. I can still do this by going into Display Preferences and choosing "Scaled" resolution. But my wife used the laptop for presentations and is going to have a coronary if she has to hunt around for that. Yes, I have already checked the "Show mirroring options in the menu bar when available" box, but it's not showing them to me. Ideas?

Thx, Johnnyboy

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion, iPhone 4, iPad

Posted on Jul 25, 2012 11:14 PM

6 replies

Jul 25, 2012 11:46 PM in response to koban4max

Compatible with what? A DVI monitor? I should hope so because I've been using the combo for years.

I'm not talking about Airplay, I'm just using a bog-standard mini-display port cable to a monitor. It's not hi-tech. I just used to be able to choose a scaling resolution from a menu bar icon, an icon that has been there since the earliest iterations of OS X, and now that shortcut has disappeared. I'd just like it back. It's kind of essential if you use VGA and SVGA projectors whose native resolutions are difficult to predict.

Sep 30, 2012 2:57 PM in response to Johnnyboy

Yeah, it really bugs me too. I have bad eyes and can't read some things. I have a MacBook Pro and based on my environment, I may want it higher or lower screen resolution and I has been in the menu bar for as long as I can remember. Why take it out?

Same think with preventing colored icons in the sidebar. What the Frick!!! If I want grey icons, I wlll pick them. Now I have to really look at the list. Surely Apple of all companies understands the importance of color as a classifier for oganizational efficiency?!?

Apple, people become dependent on the really cool stuff you do. Sorry you are a victim of your own greatness, but there it is. Please stop reducing functionality.

Bring back the displays icon when a single screen is attached and restore the resolution selection option from that menu!!!

Bring back colored icons to the sidebar!!!

ML - where has my "Displays" menu bar icon gone?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.