Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is there any easy way to upgrade from Logic Express?

I bought it last year because I couldn't afford the full version - then the full version was dropped to the same price and LE was discontinued. I'd love the security of having it attached to my Apple ID, and to upgrade now, but paying the same price again seems a bit much. Is there any way to upgrade?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Jul 26, 2012 12:31 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 26, 2012 6:03 AM

You are not alone in your predicament since Apple broke up Logic Studio and discontinued LE.

If you want to make your next purchase via the App Store (which would be wise for future upgrades) I think you basically have two options:

1) Even though it would seem like you're buying Logic again for the same price that you paid for LE, you would be getting a lot more in the way of instruments, plug-ins, and loops. Sculpture, Space Designer, and all 6 Jam Packs for starters. Not to mention that you would then be set up for updates and upgrades. You may find this helpful in determining what you would be immediately gaining by buying Logic Pro 9:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4229

Even though the document shows Logic Studio, if you just eliminate Compressor, Mainstage, Soundtrack Pro, and Waveburner you can still clearly see what you'll be getting. If all this makes you drool 😉 you can get LP9 now or . . .

2) You could wait a bit longer and buy Logic Pro X, whenever that is released.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 26, 2012 6:03 AM in response to schlafshane

You are not alone in your predicament since Apple broke up Logic Studio and discontinued LE.

If you want to make your next purchase via the App Store (which would be wise for future upgrades) I think you basically have two options:

1) Even though it would seem like you're buying Logic again for the same price that you paid for LE, you would be getting a lot more in the way of instruments, plug-ins, and loops. Sculpture, Space Designer, and all 6 Jam Packs for starters. Not to mention that you would then be set up for updates and upgrades. You may find this helpful in determining what you would be immediately gaining by buying Logic Pro 9:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4229

Even though the document shows Logic Studio, if you just eliminate Compressor, Mainstage, Soundtrack Pro, and Waveburner you can still clearly see what you'll be getting. If all this makes you drool 😉 you can get LP9 now or . . .

2) You could wait a bit longer and buy Logic Pro X, whenever that is released.

Aug 13, 2012 2:16 PM in response to schlafshane

Since I don't have Logic Pro I can't say for sure, but I think you would only need to be somewhat concerned if you were opening Logic Pro files in Logic Express. The reason for that is that you may have used some instruments and/or plugins in LP that do not exist in LE. But since you're going from LE to LP I think you will be fine after opening each file in LP and then saving it as a new LP file.

That being said, it's always wise to back up your files. 😉

Is there any easy way to upgrade from Logic Express?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.