Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

(re)Enable iCalendar ability to execute AppleScript

Hi there fellow early adopters of ML (i'm talking to those who wait the final release and never installed ML DP).

I were using tons of AppleScript with Calendar ability to run script. Is there any way to recover this ability in Mountain Lion ?

Thanks,

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion

Posted on Jul 26, 2012 2:36 AM

37 replies

Jul 26, 2012 3:26 PM in response to smkd

I ran into the same problem with an AppleScript I set up for use as an alarm clock. The script editor opens, and the script never executes. I ran a Google search, and it seems that a lot of other people are reporting the same issue....but nobody has posted a solution yet (at least I haven't found any solutions posted). I hope the folks in Cupertino are looking into this, but I don't expect it to be high on their priority list. It appears that some folks are having even worse issues with the upgrade to ML.

Jul 26, 2012 5:33 PM in response to Pondini

I'm working on an Automator that will execute the script. Actually, I'm setting up two automators. The first one allows you to input your reminder, with the option to execute an automator. The second automator looks for entries on the Automator calendar, then executes the script. My script displays a pop-up message that must be acknowledged to shut off the alarm, which consists of a system sound played 3 times, and a voice message.

Once I have the bugs worked out, I will put more info up.

Jul 26, 2012 7:03 PM in response to Pondini

I got the answer, and it was simpler than I thought. Here's a solution that works for me:

In Automator, create a Calendar Alarm

Select Utilities from the library pane

Select & drag Run AppleScript into the workflow area

Copy/paste the AppleScript into the Run AppleScript box

Save the newly created Calendar Alarm

Open Calendar.app, create a new event

Select the Automator calendar as your reference calendar

Select Open File for the alert, and select the file you created in Automator. By default, iCal is the file that comes up when you select Open File. Change that to the name of the Automator app you created. Select Other if the file name isn't shown.

I've attached screen shots, just in case the instructions are a bit vague. Let me know if this works for you.

User uploaded fileUser uploaded fileUser uploaded file

Jul 30, 2012 4:14 PM in response to LinuxGeek3447

LinuxGeek3447 wrote:

. . .

Open Calendar.app, create a new event

Select the Automator calendar as your reference calendar

Select Open File for the alert, and select the file you created in Automator.

For me, all those steps were already done after I saved it as a Calendar Alarm -- so it's even easier. Just set the time & repeat frequency.

Very cool! 😎

Now, a question: since you only have 10 points here, you're not authorized to create a User Tip (see https://discussions.apple.com/static/apple/tutorial/reputation.html).

But this would be good one. If you haven't seen them, click the User Tips tab at the top of the forum list:

User uploaded file

If you'd like to rewrite your instructions in a fashion similar to the first 3 (mine just link to my website), perhaps including the screenshots "in line," I'd be happy to copy it and make it a User Tip, crediting you prominently as the author of course (although it will show me).

Then not only will some folks find it on their own, but others can post links to it.

EDIT: And I'll link to it from my Changes in Mountain Lion page.

Message was edited by: Pondini

(re)Enable iCalendar ability to execute AppleScript

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.