Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

So, is Lion no longer available?

Is it possible to still download and upgrade to Lion from Snow Leopard? Cant seem to find it available.

iMac 8,1, Mac OS X (10.6.8), Intel Core 2 Duo, 2.66 GHz

Posted on Jul 26, 2012 4:31 AM

5 replies

Jul 26, 2012 6:09 AM in response to Matt Clifton

Right? If I had known they would be taking it off the market when Mointain Lion comes out [an os that my imac is unfortunately too old for *sad*], I would have paid to upgrade sooner. I figured if they know that iMacs that are still in perfect working order but simply unable to handle Mountain Lion's requirements are out there [which should be a testament to how well iMacs work and don't need to be upgraded every couple of years], they would still allow both Lion systems. This is a major grr moment for me. I literally *just* got the money to upgrade with this morning's paycheck. I know I'm a little behind schedule, but dang! Now I'm stuck with Snow Leopard? Uncool, Apple. Uncool.

Jul 26, 2012 10:27 AM in response to lenalandmine

OK. Called my local apple store. They have it as a backup drive? for $69. She said you may be able to get something from the online store also. looks like my imac is new enough to take mountain lion, so I may just go ahead and try it. Store rep said I should be able to go from SL to ML. Just wondering if I should wait a while longer to see if there any bug issued needing to be worked out?

Jul 26, 2012 11:26 AM in response to Cumby

There are always bugs, but not a lot of showstoppers as far as built-in apps. Check any third-party programs that you depend on to make sure they're fully ML compatible. If it all looks good, there's really no need to buy Lion as an intermediate. Just make sure you have a backup of your 10.6 system (I recommend a full bootable backup using Carbon Copy Cloner, if you can - if not, Time Machine will also work).

Matt

Sep 27, 2012 12:19 AM in response to Cumby

The USB drives are hard to find at stores and resellers. They pulled Lion from the App Store and replaced it with Mountain Lion. Since some people need 10.7, or can't run 10.8 but need to upgrade, they will sell it to you over the phone. Call Applecare. When this happens they e-mail you a redemption code (just like a gift card) to plug into the App Store to download Lion.

So, is Lion no longer available?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.