Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhoto Library is in use or unreadable

I believe I corrupted my default iPhoto '09 (8.1.2) library a few days ago. I have not set up Time Machine, but I haven't lost any photos. I simply cannot open iPhoto (the "in use or unreadable" error seems to be a well-known one). This was likely caused by me working with Picasa for the first time in a long time and not understanding the applications' relationship.

I tried to make a collage of 2 photos in Picasa and was probably not careful with the original files. I may have deleted 1 from my iPhoto package contents. Would this cause the application to not start? I tried moving files related to these photos out of the iPhoto Library, but this did not help, so I moved them back in. Rebooting didn't help, and when trying all kinds of combinations on the "rebuild" prompt screen, I get the same error message as when I try to open my default Library. iPhoto Library Manager is not helpful for saving albums/events since the default library is unreadable.

Is there any way to make my default library ignore certain missing files or function similarly to how it did a few days ago? In general, is it dangerous to work with any small file inside the iPhoto library package?

Thanks in advance.

iPhoto '08, Mac OS X (10.7.3), I use iPhoto '09, not iPhoto '08

Posted on Jul 26, 2012 4:29 AM

1 reply

Jul 26, 2012 4:47 AM in response to bjg977

Here's the thing: Picasa claims to work with the iPhoto Library but it uses a hack rather than the supported APIs to do it. So as the OS and the app get updated from time to time, the effect of Picasa on the Library can change. Personally, I simply would not allow Picasa to run on the iPhoto Library. Instead, export the pics from iPhoto, do what you wish in Picasa and then import the product back to iPhoto.

Option 1

Back Up and try rebuild the library: hold down the command and option (or alt) keys while launching iPhoto. Use the resulting dialogue to rebuild. Choose to Repair Database. If that doesn't help, then try again, this time using Rebuild Database.

If that fails:

Option 2

Download iPhoto Library Manager and use its rebuild function. This will create a new library based on data in the albumdata.xml file. Not everything will be brought over - no slideshows, books or calendars, for instance - but it should get all your albums and keywords back.

Because this process creates an entirely new library and leaves your old one untouched, it is non-destructive, and if you're not happy with the results you can simply return to your old one.

Regards

TD

iPhoto Library is in use or unreadable

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.