Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Messages shows up as a question mark "?" in apps

I just purchased and installed mountain lion. I noticed that my messages app shows up a question mark. I am able to access the messages via spotlight but I can click it using the apps. There are also some other applications like podcast and podcast capture that shows up as a question mark. How do I resolve this?

User uploaded file

iPad, iOS 5.1

Posted on Jul 26, 2012 4:40 AM

12 replies

Jul 26, 2012 4:56 AM in response to preyes323

Not sure I understand correctly, as your sceen shot is not showing.

If you mean you are seeing a question mark in the Dock (the row of apps along the bottom of the screen), then just drag them out of the dock and up a few inches, then hold for a second and you will see a cloud symbol appear under the icon, then let it go.

To replace go to your Applications folder and with the Applications folder window open, just drag the Message app back into the dock, and any others that are missing.

If you don't know how to find the Applications folder post back.

If the apps are just missing from the Application folder itself, then you need to try to reinstall Mount Lion.

Messages shows up as a question mark "?" in apps

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.