Skip navigation

Tabs too wide in Safari 6!!

6316 Views 41 Replies Latest reply: Oct 12, 2012 12:08 AM by donaldfromstonehaven RSS
1 2 3 Previous Next
Schrodinger56 Level 1 Level 1 (30 points)
Currently Being Moderated
Jul 26, 2012 5:16 AM

Is it my imagination but are the widths of th etabs far wider in safari 6 tha in previoius versions? Not particularly pleasing on the eye so is there a way to resize the width of these tabs to a more sensible width.

Thanks

• Linc Davis Level 10 Level 10 (107,540 points)
    Jul 26, 2012 10:16 AM (in response to Schrodinger56)

It's not your imagination, and no.

• PastorWynn Level 1 Level 1 (25 points)
    Jul 26, 2012 1:32 PM (in response to Schrodinger56)

I agree that the wide tabs are not good.  That was the first thing I noticed about Safari 6.  The problem is that, when you have 2 or 3 tabs open, your eyes cannot visually locate the appropriate tab as quickly as before.

It would be great if Apple reconsidered the tab width issue.  That is definitely not an improvement.

• Zigomar Calculating status...
    Jul 26, 2012 2:35 PM (in response to Schrodinger56)

I absolutely hate the new tabs and it's no improvement having the tabs spread out over a 27 inch mac.. What a joke . I guess it's back to Firefox. If anyone has a resolution please post.

• mspringfield Level 1 Level 1 (25 points)
    Jul 26, 2012 5:48 PM (in response to Zigomar)

I agree. Two tab across a 27" iMac is crazy. I know that they got it from Safari for the iPad but it is one the to spread it across a 9.7", or an 11-13" MacBook Air screen and another to spread it across a 27" is a horrible idea. Epic Fail.

• sam langley Calculating status...
    Jul 26, 2012 6:53 PM (in response to mspringfield)

yep.. the loss of the double click-new tab and the separate search window has now deleted safari for me..

huge apple fail

• ipods_galore Calculating status...
    Jul 26, 2012 10:48 PM (in response to Schrodinger56)

I think this tab layout is okay on the iPad, when the only title you have is the tab name. But on OS X, you have really wide tabs (which look ugly) with the site name on it and you also have the window (active tab) name. That part gets redundant and just looks ugly. Old tab width was better!

• Sjeuninho Calculating status...
    Jul 27, 2012 5:22 AM (in response to Schrodinger56)

I have switched to Chrome on my iPhone 4 weeks ago (on the advise of a buddy of mine that owns an Apple support company). I guess my Macbook is next!

• LeKnober Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Jul 27, 2012 10:41 AM (in response to Schrodinger56)

I am suprised that Apple let this out the door. The usability is terrible, you can't find where to click the close box on the next tab, you can't use muscle memory to move to the next one, etc.... the worst is on a 27" monitor in full screen mode. Its utterly ridiculous.

I am hoping that this is a hidden preference setting and someone will figure out how to revert it back.

• Cali pharaoh Calculating status...
    Jul 28, 2012 5:00 PM (in response to Schrodinger56)

I found this when searching the community about what to do about this horrendous "feature" and it's working great

I installed Glims from (http://www.machangout.com) and on the left panel > General > Set "Other tabs improvements" to ON. In Left panel choose "Tabs misc." and tick "Set minimum tab label size to favicon size"

Seems to be working fine now. I'm disappointed that I had to install a 3rd party app to get there though

• LeKnober Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Jul 28, 2012 5:55 PM (in response to Cali pharaoh)

I just don't want to install some third party hack that can destabilize my system or end up being spyware or something. Especially when the Glims FAQ says this:

We are just a bunch of kids having fun. Please don't take us too seriously.

Not good.

Apple just needs to fix this.

• bobtherieau Calculating status...
    Jul 28, 2012 9:23 PM (in response to Schrodinger56)

Agreed. My screen's too wide to go hunting around for tabs that are moving all over the place. A toggle between dynamic and fixed-width tabs would be swell, but a terminal command in the meanwhile would be appreciated.

• Zigomar Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Jul 29, 2012 5:18 AM (in response to Schrodinger56)

The crime is not making a mistake but not correcting it..

1 2 3 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.