Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Woodcrest Mac Pro Not Mountain Lion Compatible?

What is it about my Mac Pro "woodcrest"

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: Mac Pro

Model Identifier: MacPro1,1

Processor Name: Dual-Core Intel Xeon

Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz

Number of Processors: 2

Total Number of Cores: 4

L2 Cache (per Processor): 4 MB

Memory: 8 GB

Bus Speed: 1.33 GHz

Boot ROM Version: MP11.005D.B00

SMC Version (system): 1.7f10

OVERVIEW

IntroducedAugust 2006
DiscontinuedJanuary 2008
Model IdentifierMacPro1,1
Model NumberA1186
Order NumberMA356LL/A (two 2.66 GHz)
Initial PriceUser uploaded file$2,499 (two 2.66 GHz)
Support StatusUser uploaded fileSupported
Weight and Dimensions42.4 lbs., 20.1" H x 8.1" W x 18.7" D

PROCESSOR

ProcessorIntel Xeon 5100 series ("Woodcrest")
Processor Speedtwo 2.0, two 2.66, or two 3.0 GHz
Architecture64-bit
Number of Cores2 per processor
Cache4 MB of shared L2 cache per processor (8 MB total)
System Bustwo 1.33 GHz

That is not compatible with Mountain Lion and any way besides "new Machine" to get it there?

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on Jul 26, 2012 6:20 AM

14 replies

Jul 26, 2012 7:22 AM in response to japamac

japamac wrote:

Not compatible.

No official support beyond Lion.

Shhhh!

http://www.jabbawok.net/?p=47

yes great news that things are happening in that area :-)

it doesn't offer a solution for normal users, and i would certainly not recommend using chameleon on your mac pro unless you have a full and complete disk image to restore from when it all goes wrong :-) (the voice of experience)

Jul 26, 2012 9:07 AM in response to adream

They already sort of did by saying that they don't recommend Disk Utility Restore for bootable clone of the system.

Backup isn't intended for backing up your entire hard drive or files that aren't within your Home folder. Usually, your Home folder is where your most important files are.

Mac OS X and third-party applications can be reinstalled from original discs or source image files if necessary.

No 'endorsement' for bootable backup cloning here. No suggestion to do anything so proactive. And no undo for system updates other than TmeMachine. No sandbox the OS (when I heard apps were sandboxing I was almost giddy until I learned it was more along the overdue lines of ASLR).

I am glad finally to see Mike's CCC go pay-ware, it was share/donation-ware but didn't seem to make a dent, and when it supported the Recovery volume, and all the other work....

Sep 20, 2012 3:37 PM in response to adream

The older copies of CCC that were free still work, even with different OSes, been there done it although the new version is cost effective considering what it gives you. And as I just finished a $35 2.33Ghz Octo upgrade on my Mac Pro 1,1 I really want ML installed as the finishing touch. However the install process is proving to go way, way further then this casual tinkerer would like, easier for me just to save money and get a expensive 5,1 or even a cheaper 3,1 Mac Pro. Afterall it has been 5 - 6 years for these old machines and with roughly 4 new OSes within those years eventually everything has to make way for progression...ML seems to be another step.😉

Sep 21, 2012 3:01 PM in response to macrd

Macrd, I have the same issue. I have a Mac Pro 1,1 upgraded with 2 Quad X5355 and 16 GB of DDR2 FB-DIMMS that were crazy expensive at the time and an Apple ATI Radeon HD 5770 which comes in the alleged New Mac Pro 5,1. They should have done something like this for the debut.

A package with OS X 10.8 / ATI Radeon HD 5770 / Firmware upgrade for 1,1 or 1,2 for $269.99 (More then an iPhone 5)

or

A package with OS X 10.8 / ATI Radeon HD 5870 / Firmware upgrade for 1,1 or 1,2 for $469.99 (More then an iPad 2)

The firmware alone for $29.00 who wouldn't download it. (More then the OS itself).

I Installed ML on my unsupported Machine but it could only run 4GB and imessages / icloud didn't work without hacking. Too much work for my old self. So just staying with 10.7.4 for now and reinstalled Windows 7 x64 without bootcamp support cause its not apple supported but Microsoft is more they happy to take my $79 for a license of Win 7 x64 and using that most of the time now. updates work. USB 3.0 Works, Cheaper video cards available and thinking of upgrading since I started PC gaming again, yes just installed a bunch of games I wanted to play but were never available for mac. Already contacted Adobe about a cross upgrade. I think apple should have done some sort of package. All they did was lose core supporters of their Computer Products. We should have known once they dropped the computer off the name. Now that I've gone to the dark side (Windows) that Nokia Lumia 920 is looking mighty good...

One last note. I love my Apple products from my Apple IIc to my Power Mac 6100, My B&W G3, My iBook Blueberry & Keylime, My Dual 450 G4, My G4 Cube, My Dual 2.0 G5, My Powerbook G4 Pismo, My Mac Mini, My Mac Pro 1,1 and my MacBook Pro. I stayed true to Apple but she left me for a bunch of wannabe's with a cheap iPhone, iPad talk about they know apple. If Oscar the grouch never appreciated your trash... Your not a true apple lover. Guess I need to let go of my love, I need to move on. 😟

Woodcrest Mac Pro Not Mountain Lion Compatible?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.