Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Battery Life MacBook Pro Retina

I've been trying to follow all the steps I've found on many of the forums, and I am still getting 3-4 hours at best battery life on my new Retina MacBook Pro. The only thing that I am finding that seems to be CPU intensive is the Carbonite Daemon.. I am running Mountain Lion.. Is anyone else seeing this as the potential issue on battery life?

MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012), OS X Mountain Lion

Posted on Jul 26, 2012 6:10 AM

14 replies

Jul 26, 2012 1:06 PM in response to Ultravox

I have a 2012 non-retina Macbook Pro and I upgraded to Mountain Lion. I typically saw 6 hours of battery life, but now on 10.8 I am seeing about 3 - 3.5 hours of battery life. I've tested the same tasks over the same period of time, and the battery life is much worse. Apple, help! Community, is anyone else seeing poor battery performance after upgrading to 10.8?

Jul 28, 2012 9:32 PM in response to tarpus

Ive also experienced Retina Macbook battery life problems.

Have only noticed since upgrading to Mountain Lion -but really over the last two days..., there was an update yesterday not sure if that added to the problem - the update was for when laptop does updates when laptop is closed/ sleep mode...

Took my laptop off charge last night, hadn't even opened it… opened it about 4 hrs later and it was on like 20% battery power..

Ive used it non intensively for about an hour and a half right now after Full Charge and im sitting on 5% battery power, only safari, mail nothing CPU intensive….ive literally watched it tick down a % every minute or two…. Underneath is quite warm was also very warm last night..Ive been pretty vigilant to try to prolong battery life even though you probably dont need to with macs because the software charges when its needed ie orange light green light but ive been really mindful NOT to charge it until its nearly dead where possible as I think thats better for it - whether it is or not...

I DO use Time Machine, Wifi. Blue Tooth Off.

Pretty annoying 😟

Jul 28, 2012 10:43 PM in response to ryan1604

someone suggested to reset SMC and PRAM so i am going to do that and will keep everyone posted whether it works or not..

FYI I monitored the battery charge as someone else had - here is it so far.

Log of Battery Charge

12:39 -1.28 until full 8%

12:42 - 1.22 until full 12%

12.47 - 1.18 until Full 16%

12.50 - 1.16 until full 20%

1:00 - 1:12 until full 30%

1:43 - 0.43 until full - 72% charged.

Shootist007 Decatur, GA, USA

Reset the SMC and the PRAM.

Jul 29, 2012 4:29 AM in response to ryan1604

After resetting SMC and also the PRAM. then left the mac to fully charge. I've had it off full charge for about half an hour now and it hasnt moved from 100%...a good sign that its fixed it which would lead me to think it is NOT hardware related but software related to ML. So other users experiencing the same problem, google Resetting SMC and Resetting PRAM - very easy to follow instructions. 6.54hrs remaining..100%.. wooo hoo fingers crossed no more probs with it

Aug 15, 2012 12:04 AM in response to Ultravox

Had 80% battery left, with something like 3 hours remaining.

I am with halfway brightness, not playing music, itunes opened with itunes match updating (which btw is amazing) ,downloading an app, and browsing. Of course wifi is on.

now I resetted PRAM and SMC.

Turned on macbook again and battery went to 79%, but expected time remaining, with same activities of before is now 5:30.

Thank God this was just a software problem. I thought my battery had F****D up already.

Mar 1, 2013 5:49 PM in response to Ultravox

Try calibrating the battery by doing the following.

1) Fully charge the battery and leave cabled for a few hours after 100% charged.

2) Pull the charging cable out of the Macbook and use it as normal until your on reserves (5%)

3) Charge to 100% and this should recalibrate it.

Also lower brightness, Switching off Bluetooth if not needed and closing down unwanted apps when youve finished with the should help. I have a Macbook Pro 13' Retina and it goes through battery like nothing ive used before. Also try lower the backlight as its not really vital to have it full brightness anyway.

Apr 6, 2013 5:09 AM in response to Ultravox

I had this problem i.e. battery life with ML and Retina MacBookPro only being about 2.5 hours, and the keyboard getting too hot to touch, as the GPU diode temperature was getting up to 75c. Although I cannot see carbonite using much CPU when I pause it the power consumption halves from nearly 3000mA to < 1200mA and this gives me nearly 7 hours battery life. When I "unpause" carbonite it drops again to 2.5 hours (according to the battery life in "energy saver" in system preferences which is mirrored into iStatPro. Cannot figure why Carbonite mucks up the GPU diode temperature, but battery life will suffer if the Macbook is used as an electric heater!

Battery Life MacBook Pro Retina

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.