Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad Home Button not working

How can I use the iPad without a Home button. Is it easy to fix?

iPad, iOS 5.1.1

Posted on Jul 26, 2012 6:06 AM

8 replies

Jul 26, 2012 6:13 AM in response to RIslander

You can try this as well.

Calibrate the home button

1. Open a stock iOS app, such as Contacts

2. Press & hold the sleep/wake button at the top of your device until the red slider control appears.

3. Immediately release the sleep/wake button and press & hold the home button. Hold until the red slider disappears.

If you have multitasking gestures turned on in the settings, you can swipe up with four fingers to get to the recents tray. You can pinch with four fingers to go back to the home screen. You can swipe from left to right in order to go from one app to another as well.

Sep 30, 2012 8:41 PM in response to Nickyt1215

Air compressor in the garage = 10 second blast in through the charging port and right as rain. Nice pull on this one to the original poster. Still happy with my original iPad and was not in the mood to upgrade, so heading in for service was not sitting well. Although, a forced upgrade would have been easier to slide by the wife!

Jan 7, 2013 4:56 PM in response to RIslander

• I had the same issue with my first generation iPad, and had a very unsatisfying experience calling the Apple Store. After a 10 minute interrogation by their automated answering system and being offered a chance to talk to one of their "geniuses" for a $36 charge, I was finally put through to a real person who told me to bring in the device with a check for $280 and the home button would be replaced. Yeah. Right. A quick on line check revealed that home buttons are a dime a dozen at $10 in computer parts stores, but then there's the question of installation and opening up your sensitive iPad.

Meanwhile, the air blowing and home button and sleep button manipulation did nothing to revide the dead-as-a-doornail home button.

On to the next remedy. Following a suggesion on a forum much like this, I plugged the iPad into my Mac computer, immediately the iTunes menu came up on the Mac, asking me if I wanted to update the operating system. I did, and 15 minutes later the system was updated to the latest version.

Now I was able to follow the suggestion made by another user, went to Settings -> General -> Accessibility -> Assistive Touch -> and turned that ON. Now a small white dot appeared on the iPad screen which effectively does everything the home button does, and a lot more it gives you a multi-function menu. Very handy). The dot can be moved to different positions on the screen, and it dims when it's not in use.

The original operating system on the generation one iPad doesn't give you the option of installing the dot, but once you update your operating system through iTunes (no charge), you can go ahead and make the dot appear in an operation lasting about 5 seconds. Problem solved.

iPad Home Button not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.