Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Encrypted Time Machine Over Network

Greetings:

Does anyone know if the new capability to do encrypted time machine backups over a network in Mountain Lion will backup to a volume on another Mac? All I see mentioned in the Apple information or the reviews is Time Capsule. Currently we backup a MacBook Pro to a Firewire 800 drive I have attahed to a Mac Mini we use as a home server. However, I have been unwilling to use a network backup for my MacBook Air because I have sensitive information for work on it and need to have my backup encrypted, so I plug it into an encrypted USB drive every few days and let TM run. If Mountain Lion would give me the capability to migrate this process to an encrypted network back-up on my home server, it would be a reason to upgrade sooner.

Thanks,

Steve

MacBook Air, Mac OS X (10.7.4), 11-inch, Core i7

Posted on Jul 26, 2012 7:38 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 26, 2012 8:00 AM

StevenJD wrote:

Greetings:

Does anyone know if the new capability to do encrypted time machine backups over a network in Mountain Lion will backup to a volume on another Mac?

I didn't try that in testing, but it does work to an external HD connected to a Time Capsule, or even an Airport Extreme (not recommended, and not supported by Apple).

So I suspect it will. Give it a try. You'll know immediately -- if the Encrypt Backups box is disabled, it's not going to work.

Let us know.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 26, 2012 8:00 AM in response to StevenJD

StevenJD wrote:

Greetings:

Does anyone know if the new capability to do encrypted time machine backups over a network in Mountain Lion will backup to a volume on another Mac?

I didn't try that in testing, but it does work to an external HD connected to a Time Capsule, or even an Airport Extreme (not recommended, and not supported by Apple).

So I suspect it will. Give it a try. You'll know immediately -- if the Encrypt Backups box is disabled, it's not going to work.

Let us know.

Encrypted Time Machine Over Network

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.