Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My macbook pro starts to pop after I upgraded to Mountain Lion, what can I do?

Hi guys,

As the title said, my MBP 13" late 2011 starts to have popping sound coming out from speaker a while ago.

It just pop every few minutes and I am very worried.

I did a few research and it seems like there's something to do with the hard disk.

note that this happened right after I upgraded to Mountain Lion.

comfort me!!!

Thanks for helping.

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion

Posted on Jul 26, 2012 9:37 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 6, 2018 12:04 AM

Hey Samuraijin

/Hug to start with 😝

Well when you did the upgrade the OSX ML uses your drive alot. As you said the popping sound from your research its comming form the drive. if that is the case. Check your disk with disk utitlities just incase too see if the drive is still ok. If its all Green your good if its red it might need replacement.

Note that Popping sound is usually a hardware problem or optical audio problem when using external speakers. instead of internal ones so becareful. My advice would be too be let it slide still the next patch if disk utilities says your drive is fine (Usually after 2 weeks of main realese). After that if its still there you have to get the puppy in for a checkup.

Hope i was able to comfort you in some way 😝

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 6, 2018 12:04 AM in response to samuraijin

Hey Samuraijin

/Hug to start with 😝

Well when you did the upgrade the OSX ML uses your drive alot. As you said the popping sound from your research its comming form the drive. if that is the case. Check your disk with disk utitlities just incase too see if the drive is still ok. If its all Green your good if its red it might need replacement.

Note that Popping sound is usually a hardware problem or optical audio problem when using external speakers. instead of internal ones so becareful. My advice would be too be let it slide still the next patch if disk utilities says your drive is fine (Usually after 2 weeks of main realese). After that if its still there you have to get the puppy in for a checkup.

Hope i was able to comfort you in some way 😝

When in doubt BACKUP 🙂

Worsed case your drive will be replaced and you put your data back..

so backup either with time machine or by hand or both for the time being more then you ussaully do for the next 3 weeks till the patch pops. You can never have too many backups i say. Also check with disk utilitys from time to time.

Qeastion do you also get the POP when using headphones?

Same i would wait it out.. and not worry too much.. make a backup just incase and your safe.

ML can absolutely be your problem with your specific model etc etc. lets see how this post goes maybe more people will reply with the same issue and we will know. ML is just out so it can be anything 🙂

Cheers

Jul 28, 2012 10:10 AM in response to samuraijin

I am also experiencing the same problem after upgrading to ML. Mine is a 15" Mid 2010 MacBook Pro.

Upgraded to ML one day ago. Everyonce in a awhile I will hear a pop from the speakers. Haven't found any way to force it to recreate, just seems random in my case. The pop doesn't preceed sound coming from the speakers, I just hear it randomly when I have interacted with the computer. Have not tried puttting my speaker on mute. During an hour period, I have probably heard the pop three times.

Oct 14, 2012 8:36 PM in response to samuraijin

Hello,

I have been experiencing this odd, faint, random pop that comes from my speakers on occasion ever since I've installed Mountain Lion. My MBP 13" is a mid 2010 model. It is a sound that is definitely generated by the speakers. I have checked my 'sound' settings in System Preferences and listened to the actual "pop" sound on the list of various sounds available and it is different than that faint popping sound I've been hearing as of late.

Feb 23, 2013 11:56 AM in response to samuraijin

My speakers also make a "popping" noise, but for me, it only seems to be when the computer is sleeping. I have not yet experienced it while using the computer. In my case, it only started a couple days ago.

I'm running OS X 10.8.2 with all updates on an 27" iMac (Mid 2011). I haven't installed any new programs in months and I have restarted the computer many times.

My macbook pro starts to pop after I upgraded to Mountain Lion, what can I do?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.