Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Imac heating (21.5-inch, Mid 2010)

My imac is very hot at the back, booted from over 25 - 35 mins ago and it has heated up very much ??? I dont use this machine for gaming on for use of photoshop and illustrator files. I have looked online for advice and have recently installed the Smc Fan control to cool it down, however I dont want to active this application all the time, where as before it would be fine on its own.

if so please can you get back to me asap, as I dont know on how safe this is to run. thank you

21.5-inch, Mid 2010

Processor 3.06 GHz Intel Core i3

Memory 4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3

Graphics ATI Radeon HD 4670 256 MB

Temps

Hd : Macintosh 46"

CPU 44"

Ambient 26"

GPU Diode 47"

GPU Heatskin 46"

Fans

Optical drive 2431rpm

Hard drive 3393 rpm

CPU Fan 2185 rpm

Posted on Jul 26, 2012 9:54 AM

8 replies

Jul 26, 2012 11:37 AM in response to error code (-50)

If your iMac is in a warm location like mine, I would suggest you continue to use SMC Fan control.

I am going to keep saying this about the new iMac designs.

They run entirely too hot for their good! Period.!

I have used and owned six different Macs over a twenty year period.

I have never had a Mac run as warm/hot as these new iMacs do.

Never!

They just run too hot and basically the heat from the iMac is slow roasting the iMacs internal components to failure over what I feel is a not very long lifespan!

I would continue to run the SMC Fan Control.

It dosen't hurt the iMac or the fans to run this control to speed up the fans to further cool the innards of your iMac.

You can't damage anything as long as you stay conservative with the fan speeds to keep the fans from prematurely burning up.

That said, I would only run the fans 200-600 rpms faster than Apple's default settings.

Not exceeding 2000 rpms for any of the fans. You could ramp up the HD and CPU fans to 1800 rpms if you feel these might still be a little high.

These settings will lower the temps to an acceptable level and still keep the iMac quiet and keep from excessively sucking in extra dust, dirt and lint into your iMac.

Good Luck!

Imac heating (21.5-inch, Mid 2010)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.