I tried just about every solution I could to fix the problem of Silverlight telling me that there already was a more current version of Silverlight on my computer (a Mac Mini) than what I was trying to load. Netflix told me to remove Silverlight from Hard Drive-->Library--> Internetplug-ins.
Other advice I saw also had removals from Library-->Receipts and Library/ApplicationSupport/Microsoft/Silverlight. Althugh this advice may have helped I was still unable to dowload Silverlight because it still told me there already was a more current version of Silverlight on my computer.
I was just about to cancel my account with Netflix when I thought I'd try one more thing:
I plugged a flash drive into another Apple computer and copied Silverlight from Hard Drive-->Library--> Internetplug-ins and then after ejecting the flash drive went over to the MacMini, and copied Silver light into the MacMini's Hard Drive-->Library--> Internetplug-ins.
I'm pleased to report I can watch Netflix again.
That said, three Netflix tech support people and one Micosoft tech person all of whom were very polite, but never suggested this approach and I haven't seen it suggested in other user forumes either. I hope it offers some help t others.
Have a good holiday.
I will keep that in mind to try if I have more issues. I had to give up for the nght and start again in the morning with a fresh mind. I thought it was very non-macish for it to be so hard just to reinstall an internet plugin that was crashing.
NetFlix and Microsoft instructions seemed to indicate just deleting the silverlight* files in '/Library/Internet Plug-Ins' then reinstall. Others said install a third party app called EasyFind to search for hidden files and delete everything with SilverLight in the name which I did, no go since it must have missed some. I looked through the hidden user Library folders and couldn't find anything.
Finally found the script at the other link I posted:
rm -rf /Library/Internet\ Plug-Ins/Silverlight.plugin
rm -rf /Library/Receipts/Silverlight*.pkg
rm -rf ~/Library/Application\ Support/Microsoft/Silverlight
This finally worked consistently for me.
I think I was overlooking the files in /Library/Receipts I think. The thing that kept bugging me was although I was using the one directed from Netflix and Microsoft, the install kept saying a newer version was installed, even though it was a letfover file somewhere from an older version, since i was trying to install the latest version...