Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mountain Lion Screen Saver

It seems the new screen saver doesn't see subfolders, as it used to in Lion and before. Not sure if it's a bug or meant to be this way.

Would be great if they fixed this, as we use it to showcase our projects multiple folders with clients.

Posted on Jul 26, 2012 11:27 AM

127 replies

Jul 28, 2012 2:00 PM in response to dutch_seagal

This is the zenith of insanity -- duplicating your pictures from neatly organized subfolders into one folder not only ***** up system space but is terrible for, as you put it kindly, "workflow".

They MUST fix this - I have a screensaver made up of 355 gorgeous images from my hometown, and they are in subfolders based on category. I don't want to give this up and right now I'm forced to use an awful 3rd party screensaver instead which ***** completely!

ALSO.... on the heading of nonsense - did you know that Apple completely SCREWED Candybar. It used to be that you could change your dock image. I'm glad that everyone thinks the new dock is an improvement, but I've used (and loved) a reflective black dock --- I can't change it - no way, no how. Again, this is just DUMB.

Apple - I hope you're listening!

Aug 1, 2012 11:58 AM in response to dutch_seagal

You could import each of the sub folders as a separate event into iPhoto. Then add all the photos to a screensaver album. This would protect your organisational structure but also get it all back into the screensaver. Also easy to update for the future!

On a related(-ish) note, does anyone know where the RSS screensaver has gone? Is its removal part of the same reasoning that removed rss from Safari? Anyone know of another RSS screensaver I could replace it with?

T.I.A.

Aug 5, 2012 9:41 PM in response to Macdu Mela

I don't think your idea works for people that doesn't work with iPhoto.

I am a photographer and have all my photos neatly organized the way I want and I can make changes with the software I use (Adobe Lightroom) and just save the photo again on the same folder or even another folder if I want to and the new edited version was automatically be part of my screen saver universe.

Since Apple made this change (and I really hope it has just been overseen!) our options are either do what you suggest which would generate much more workflow and redundancy on files or just get rid of my whole organization and put all together in one folder! Can anyone imagine how effective this could be? around 200,000 photos in one folder?!

APPLE please respond and bring us a solution!

Aug 5, 2012 10:17 PM in response to softwater

Thank you for the link. Here's what I wrote:

Hello,

My name is Eladio Gomes, I am a System Administrator for windows environments and also a professional photographer, and because of the later I have moved to the apple universe with all my personal and photography computers about 2.5 years ago and I couldn't be happier.

One of the biggest advantages of the Apple system is that you have always kept us photographers on your thoughts when bringing new hard and software. Better displays, video cards, memory management, you name it. It always benefit us in one way or another.

Unfortunately, although Mountain Lion has a lot of great features it has a fall back that does affect me and I am sure a big portion of the photographers using Apple. It might seem something not really important to some, but it is a big issue for people like me that has around 200,000 photos organized in the hard drive.

Mountain Lion has lost the capability of running the photo screen saver through sub-folders, it can only read photos on a single and main folder. I can't imagine myself just getting rid of all organization and having 200,000 photos in 1 single folder, and I'm sure that's not what was meant with the change.

Would you please reestablish the sub folder possibility to the screen saver ASAP and communicate this to the photographers community?

I expect some response from an Apple representative for this matter soon, and I do appreciate all work you have done for me/us so far.

Aug 23, 2012 3:19 PM in response to dutch_seagal

I was really hoping that today's update would fix this issue, but it hasn't.

In fact I can't even select an iPhoto Album anymore.

If anyone knows of a third party software that can do this or something please let us know. I'm tired of watching only two or three pictures pop up on my screen saver when I've got 19,000 in a collection for this (and other reasons)

I sent feedback to apple as well via the link above... but i'm tired of waiting, theres gotta be another option...

Mountain Lion Screen Saver

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.