Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

can I upgrade both of my macs and only buy the new OS once?

I have a Macbook and an Imac. Can I buy the new OS once or do I have to do it twice?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Jul 26, 2012 11:56 AM

4 replies

Jul 26, 2012 12:03 PM in response to Kelvinator Kevin

You can purchase Mountain Lion once and install it on each of your machines. You do not need to purchase separate copies. In order to save yourself from having to download the entire package for each machine. When you purchase it from the App Store, it will download into your Applications folder and you will be presented with the screen to start the installation. Do not start the installation at this point. Make a copy of the installer which is in your application folder first. You can then go ahead and continue the installation. The reason for doing this is that once the installer finishes, it automatically deletes the installer that you downloaded. If you make a separate copy, you can put it on an external or network drive so you don't need to download it for your other machine.

can I upgrade both of my macs and only buy the new OS once?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.