Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Loops will not download

I have ML 10.8 on board and have started to configure settings. When I click the Loop Download button in the Garageband UI, it asks me to download now or later. I chose either option and the Mac App Store opens. From there i am told there is nothing to download. Subsequent clicks on the Loop Button in GB UI advises me that the download has initated and to check Software Updates. In a circle here, and no loops...???

Anyone else?

Any suggestions or a fix at hand would be gratefully recieved.

Thanks in advance.

MacBook Pro (17-inch Mid 2009), OS X Mountain Lion, 8GB 1067 MHz DDR3 2.8 GHz Intel C2D

Posted on Jul 26, 2012 12:22 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 27, 2012 3:40 AM

Try to update the iLife '11 version from your DVD with the installer from the Apple support page to the current version

GarageBand 6.0.5

and then again try to download the missing instruments. Mountain Lion treats the retail iLife software differently from the MAS-versions, so you cannot upgrade them from the App Store any longer.

Please let us know, if the installer from the Support page still works.

Regards

Léonie

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 27, 2012 3:40 AM in response to RáNdÓm GéÉzÁ

Try to update the iLife '11 version from your DVD with the installer from the Apple support page to the current version

GarageBand 6.0.5

and then again try to download the missing instruments. Mountain Lion treats the retail iLife software differently from the MAS-versions, so you cannot upgrade them from the App Store any longer.

Please let us know, if the installer from the Support page still works.

Regards

Léonie

Oct 22, 2012 4:30 AM in response to Thebestplacehere

Here the same problem with a new macbook air where ilife is from the mac ap store

I just had the same problem on my iMac with preinstalled GarageBand:

At first the dreaded "missing Loops":

User uploaded file

Klicking the gray download arrow takes one to the App store with nothing to download.

Then, relaunching GarageBand brings up this:

User uploaded file

Currently being installed, but nothing happens? 😕

I reinstalled GarageBand, after deleting the application from the "Applications folder". still the same problem.

Then I looked, if GarageBand actually had downloaded the loops, and surprise, surprise:

All missing loops are installed, but GarageBand did not know it - the loop index is wrong.

If you have the same problem, check the Apple Loops folder in the System directory, if it contains the missing loops: Open your system volume in the Finder, open the "Library" Folder, then browse the Folder "Apple Loops >Apple"

/Library/Audio/Apple Loops/

If the loops are there, but GarageBand does not find them, rebuild the Loop Index: see

Rebuilding the Loop Index in GarageBand

Regards

Léonie

Oct 22, 2012 8:56 AM in response to TheEddgehill

In reply to myself:

It seems that the loops and indexes are in a folder not described in the support articles.

Loops are in

/Library/Audio/Apple Loops/Apple/Apple Loops for GarageBand/*.caf

Also the re-indexing points to different folder than what I have.

The indexes reside in

/Library/Audio/Apple Loops Index/ (3 files, 2 named Search Index***.txt and one named Update Index***.txt

*** being a very cryptic part of the filename.

What to do? Try the re-indexing despite the folders are not the same as in the support articles?

Oct 22, 2012 9:13 AM in response to TheEddgehill

Also the re-indexing points to different folder than what I have.

The indexes reside in

/Library/Audio/Apple Loops Index/ (3 files, 2 named Search Index***.txt and one named Update Index***.txt

That are the index folders that I removed. Then I dragged all loops from

/Library/Audio/Apple Loops/

to the Loop Browser in GarageBand. For me it worked - but you have to check if all missing loops really are installed.

The location of loop folders has changed between GarageBand versions.

Nov 4, 2012 6:50 AM in response to jacquesA

Just to reiterate:

Download the standalone GB update for 6.0.5 from here: http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1507?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

Install over the top of the current GB app. Go into GB and select one of the missing loops from the browser. The download box will open, click download now... App store will then open and you should find the loops listed.

Best of luck.

Nov 4, 2012 9:19 AM in response to RáNdÓm GéÉzÁ

For me, installing that update did not help.

I have a new MacBook Air, 10.8.2 and GB was pre-installed.

But what did help, was to uninstall Garageband and then re-install it from the appstore.

I found the uninstall instructions in this forum and they were by LeonieDF.

Here's the thread

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4152804?start=0&tstart=0

Nov 4, 2012 12:03 PM in response to RáNdÓm GéÉzÁ

OK.

It worked !

What did I do ?

I threw GarageBand in the bin (but didn't empty it..., just in case).

I re installed GarageBand (took 1 minute).

Clicked on an uninstalled loop, saif I wanted to download it now and there it went ! It lasted 4 hours, it was ever so slow ! I have already downloaded from other sites, it was much quicker, but then, it ended and waited for me to close down GarageBand. I re started GarageBand...

Tada ! All the l🙂🙂ps are here !

Thanks for the 2 answers I got from you people. It's nice to know that someone cares. Hope to help you too one day, if my skills reach to that point😁

Loops will not download

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.