Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail 6.0 has duplicate "On My Mac" folder structures

Having upgraded to ML 10.8 this morning I notice that Mail has two "On My Mac" folder structures below Archive, one is immediately below Archive (i.e. the top of the sub-tree) let's call it 1st instance, followed by iCloud, then the 2nd instance of an "On My Mac" folder structure.

From the erratic behaviour of the disclosure triangles in the 1st, this would appear to be the unwanted child. Click its triangle and the 2nd structure opens.

Now click the Archive disclosure triangle twice, once to close it all up, the 2nd click gives both "On My Mac" structures open to the first level, iCloud is unaffected. Repeat this operation and both "On My Mac" structures are closed up.

If you do open a sub-folder in the 1st instance, any subsequent click of the triangle is ignored, even in the other instance.

The 2nd instance is completely consistent in operation as would be expected under normal circumstances.

Closing and reopening Mail just remembers the current expanded state, the only consistent reset is achieved with the Archive close/open double manoeuvre.

Message was edited by: additall Hmm, this was happening back in 2007, but the drag it out and back solution doesn't seem to work this time

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion, 27" Late 2009

Posted on Jul 26, 2012 12:52 PM

5 replies

Jul 29, 2012 11:58 PM in response to additall

I had the same behaviour of the On My Mac archive, but with 4 On My Mac's under Archive. Opening and closing worked very slow, so I tried to delete one, but not only 1 but the 4 mailboxes were gone and also the mailbox-file in Library. I thought, never mind we have Time Machine, but found out that this mailbox could not be restored with Time Machine. It also seemed that TM is not compatible with pre-Mountain Lion backups and specially not for mailbox files.

Luckely I also had a Carbon Copy Clooner backup, so I defined a new mailbox in Mail, On My Mac, which appeared not under Archive, but separate.

Then I imported all the mailbox files from my CCC-backup into Mail and there they appeared under On My Mac.

And it works again!

Hope this helps.

Messy update from Apple!! Giving feedback, using the feedback-button in Mail, does not give you feedback, but we know that behaviuor from Apple.

Aug 12, 2012 8:48 AM in response to additall

Update, I think I've solved it for myself.

Previously, I had created a local folder called Archive. iCloud also comes with a default folder called Archive and Mail 6.0 was showing my local archive and combining it with its iCloud version, rather like the way that calendars and contacts get doubled up when your local stuff is mirrored on iCloud.

Having taken a backup of my local archive I trashed the lot, everything from the 2nd "On My Mac" tree downwards and then the other two sibling trees, the 1st "On My Mac" and "iCloud" just disappeared as well.

So my recommendation is don't use "Archive" as a local folder name.

I later created a test folder called "Local" and selected its location as "On My Mac". "On My Mac" is now listed in capitals, in a lighter grey colour, with the Hide/Show popup choice to its right. This is your local storage area, away from iCloud and Apple's little helpers :-)

Aug 27, 2013 4:30 AM in response to additall

Same problem here. Mountain Lion 10.8.4 First use of Archive-- WHAM!

Two "On My Mac" folders just as shown above. Alas, delete one and BOTH vanish, along with any messages that have been archived.

I've only used Mail a couple of times, fetched mail only once, so it suggests some underlying problem. IIRC, I saw a similar problem on a partner's Mail in Tiger where double mailboxes would appear.

Question: is there any way of marking an e-mail "unsent"? the way that Eudora could?

Continue to lament the loss of Eudora.

Mail 6.0 has duplicate "On My Mac" folder structures

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.