6 Replies Latest reply: Mar 27, 2013 1:06 PM by babowa Branched to a new discussion.
LorenEllis Level 1 Level 1

I recently had to have my iMac hard drive totally reased due to a suspected virus.   I lost all the i tunes and i photo information on the iMac.   However I have all the music on an iPod and the pictures on an iPad.   Is there a way to transfer the pictures and music back to the iMac?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.4)
  • Mike Sombrio Level 6 Level 6

That's a pity, especially considering that the are no Mac viruses. who convinced you to do that?

• Klaus1 Level 8 Level 8

As Mike says. there are no viruses that can affect OS X, BUT please read this:

You will find this User Tip on Viruses, Trojan Detection and Removal, as well as general Internet Security and Privacy, useful:

https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-2435

The User Tip (which you are welcome to print out and retain for future reference) seeks to offer guidance on the main security threats and how to avoid them.

• LorenEllis Level 1 Level 1

My wife received what she thought was an update, and when she OK'd the installation the computer immediately stopped working.   Computer was still under warranty so we returned it to Best Buy Geek Squad.  They sent it to Apple to ensure the hard ware was OK.   After that Geek squad said only thing that could be done was a hard disk earase and reinstallation of OS.   We lost everything on the computer and are slowly restoring it.  To avoid things like this is why I changed from Windows to Mac.  So was pretty diaappointed.

• Klaus1 Level 8 Level 8

Shame they didn't state the obvious: that you should back up your files first.

• MichelPM Level 6 Level 6
    expertise.audio
    Audio

For any music and pictures on iPad, see this discussion.

https://discussions.apple.com/message/21618229#21618229

If your iPod is a straight up iPod, you'll have to search for a solution, as I have no clue what is out there to transfer iPod libraries to a Mac.

• babowa Level 7 Level 7
    expertise.ipad
    iPad

FWIW, I would always trust an Apple store, the Genius Bar, or Apple tech support far more than the Geek Squad. Personally, I would not allow them to touch any of my machines. Just a thought for any future problems, especially since there are no Mac viruses currently so there could have been some corruption or incompatabilities which could have been troubleshooted after backing up the data.