Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac can't find printer

My Mac became unable to print today so I uninstalled the driver. When I try adding it back, the Add Printer box shows the printer but when I select the appropriate driver I get "An error occurred while trying to add the selected printer. Error:-30886".

For what it's worth, the printer is a Brother HL-2170W, using over wifi. I have reinstalled the driver software from Brother's site, so it should be good. The printer tells me the wifi link is okay.

And no, I wasn't upgrading the OS today.

Any help much appreciated.

24 inch Intel Core Duo iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8), 2.8 GHz, 4GB ram

Posted on Jul 26, 2012 1:16 PM

5 replies

Apr 11, 2016 4:41 AM in response to duncantho

I have a Brother MFC-845CW and I have to tell you that these printers are extremely hard to get working on the wireless network. I have had a lot of difficulty with range.

Make sure that you have the printer close to your wireless router while you are setting it up. (I know you thought that getting a wireless would mean that you could set it up far away, but for getting it working for the first time you want to eliminate poor signal strength as a factor, once you get it working you can slowly move it farther and farther away.)

Try getting the printer to connect with no encryption on the wireless.

Does that work? Make sure you don't have a MAC filter on the wireless router. If you do, add the MAC of the printer's wireless adapter to that list, but have it that security feature disabled at first until you can get the printer to connect.

If you do get it working with no security, try to switch over to WPA/2-PSK. WEP has two modes, shared and open, I'm not clear as to which one the printer defaults to, but if it isn't the same default as the wireless router and the printer doesn't failover to the other type it will not connect.

WPA/2-PSK is a better encryption anyway, you shouldn't use WEP, it is better than nothing, but it still is horrible.

Make sure that you reboot the printer, if it has failed to connect a few times it gets stubborn and needs to be rebooted.

Source(s):

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090720231029AAohA8l

Apr 11, 2016 9:49 AM in response to Albert Danry

Thanks for your thoughts, Albert.

Since my last problems I ran into a further one in which even ethernet was no good. There's been a suggestion the phone company's ageing router has malfunctioned, which may or may not be the case. I still have the printer but now have it connected to a host computer by USB and share it with our other computer by way of Printopia's software. It means switching out USB cables, depending what I'm doing, and remembering to wake up the host printer before printing, but it works.

Regards.

Mac can't find printer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.