Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Final Cut Express and Mountain Lion

I know that Mountain Lion was just released but I am trying to find out if it is compaible with Final Cut Express 4.0.1. I have been searching for a while and found that some people are using Lion but now that Mountain Lion is out, there has been very little said about it.

There are some new features that I would like to utilize in the new OS but if it is going to mess up FCE, then I wont upgrade.

If anyone would like to share their success or failure stories, I am sure that I, as well as others, would appreciate it!

Thanks!

Final Cut Express-OTHER, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Jul 26, 2012 1:25 PM

26 replies

Jul 26, 2012 10:11 PM in response to DLewis from rocklin

I'm wondering the same thing....I DO use it on Lion and it works without a hitch but I don't want to upgrade in case it makes it useless and I can't go back.

BUT my brother is getting a MacBook Pro later next week (Mountain Lion preinstalled) and he's going to let me try to install FCE on it, and see what happens. I'll post whatever I figure out here if nobody else does by then.

Aug 15, 2012 5:51 AM in response to playa_west

I got my new Macbook pro yesturday with ML installed. I migrated all of my programs from my Snow Leopard computer and FCE would not work without the update to 4.0.1. After the update, I tried to run Aperture 3 and it wouldn't even open. I remembered the issue happening on my old Mac years ago and there was a patch to fix the issue of Aperture and FCE on the same computer. At that point, FCE was working but Aperture stopped working. So I trashed Aperture and Downloaded again from App store. Now, neither FCE or Aperture will open.

Called Apple and they said that FCE should never work on ML and never will. They no longer support FCE and only support FC 10. All reports say that FCE has totally messed up my brand new Macbook so I will never try to load it again. According to Apple, they don't plan on any patch in the future to correct this issue.

I have an appointment at the Apple store to get every thing back in order again. My advise.....don't try using FCE in ML. According to some, it corrupted my library in ML.

Aug 15, 2012 10:18 AM in response to DLewis from rocklin

I went to upgrade from Lion to ML, and halfway through installing it ran into a problem and said my hard drive was corrupted and I had to wipe it. I thought this would mean I couldn't update to FCE 4.0.1 since it would be a clean install and apparently that blocks the update.

When I was using Target Disk Mode (which somehow still worked) to load all my documents off before I wiped it, I thought I would try something. I went to an archived Apple Support document (http://support.apple.com/kb/TA38198?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US) for what to delete to uninstall FCE. Instead of deleting those files I copied them too. Once I clean installed ML I pasted the files back to where they came from, THEN reinstalled FCE from the disk, and everything worked in 4.0.1! All my old projects loaded, no featrues were broken, and everything on my mac is fine.

@ARTWW, I don't have Aperture, so I have no idea if what Apple's telling you is true or just them trying to sell FCPX. Unless Arpeture is some huge issue FCE did nothing to my mac, hopefully things work out at the Apple Store for you...but any Apple person I've talked to since Lion has always been pissy about me running FCE, and for me it's always worked fine, even on ML.

Aug 15, 2012 11:14 AM in response to DLewis from rocklin

I have Final Cut Express 3.5 (restored via Time Machine onto an early Mac mini when my G5 tower stopped working a year ago). I have not used FCE on the Mac mini (running 10.6.8). I have just ordered a new iMac that will be running Mountain Lion. Will I be able to use FCE 3.5 on ML? Will I need to find an upgrade path, or is it a lost cause?

I called Apple support before I bought the iMac, and was told FCE would work. But I am seeing differing opinions on these compatibility issues. Would appreciate the expertise and advice of this community.

Aug 15, 2012 12:41 PM in response to shulman22

JNSC, I did get FCE to work but it clashes with Aperture. No patch for ML and Apple said they don't support FCE and there would never be a patch for ML. The Pro group said they can't help with FCE. Aperture is more important to me so I just deleated FCE.

I did start another discussion and I got some very good advice. Check it out....

Aperture won't work on new macbook pro retina

Sep 13, 2012 12:27 PM in response to Meg The Dog

I decided to give up on FCE 4 in M.L. due to to all issues and conflicts with Aperture. I downloaded the trial version of FCP X and I am amazed at the improvements. Does everything FCE can and more.

Now I purchased the full version because it is so much easier to use. I don't like the way Apple leaves you hanging after paying good money for software but I do like the final results.

Sep 14, 2012 11:52 PM in response to djl99

I recently installed FCE4 to mountain Lion 10.8.1 to an MBPro. A CLEAN Install.

Update to 4.0.1 went smoothly.

To my surprise it works fine and am testing with a twenty minute AVCHD timeline.

Editing, effects and transitions work as expected so far.

Please feed back with your Mountain LION experience with FCE 4.0.1.

Al

Final Cut Express and Mountain Lion

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.