Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Anyone having smtp outgoing mail since Mountain Lion Upgrade?

I just upgraded my 2012 27" iMac to Mountain Lion. I use mail and can receive incoming mail from both my business account and my .me account, but cannot send any mail. I have not changed any mail settings since the upgrade.

The error message:

The SMTP connection to server “smtp.xxxxxxxxxx.com” failed.

Select a different outgoing mail server from the list below or click Try Later to leave the message in your Outbox until it can be sent.

Sending from: smtp.xxxxxxxxxxx.com

I have gone directly to my server site and was able to send a message from there

Any ideas - all settings and passwords seem correct on my end

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on Jul 26, 2012 1:25 PM

141 replies

Jul 26, 2012 1:52 PM in response to Barry Lane

Thanks - I changed my outgoing smtp server in :

Mail>Preferences>Accounts>

At the outgoing mail server drop down menu - choose "Edit SMTP server list)

Choose the SMTP server you want to use

The "Use default ports" is probably highlighted

Change it to CUSTOM and type in "10"

try sending an outgoing mail - ot should work

Oddly enough - after you send the 1st good email outbound the SMTP changes itself back to the default ports and works !

New OSX - go figure

For Safari - check that you upgraded Safari - it has a new update you need to use with Mountain Lion

Jul 30, 2012 12:29 AM in response to HelenCW

Go to your Mail preferences, click "Outgoing Mail Server (SMTP), then to "Edit SMTP Server List", then to "Advanced" and click the radio button "Use custom port" and enter a port number into the window. I experimented with a few but ended up with 587 and Mail now behaves itself perfectly.

I've been contacted by several friends with Macs who have had the same problem since installing 10.8 and they're all up and running again now.

Let us know how you get on, Helen.

Anyone having smtp outgoing mail since Mountain Lion Upgrade?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.