Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My Macbook Air late 2010 also doesn't show Power Nap?

My Mac is a late model 2010 Macbook Air. No Power Nap option is showing up in Energy Saver????

The firmware update is only for Mid 2011 models upwards. What is happening with our model which was promised this feature?

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: MacBook Air

Model Identifier: MacBookAir3,2

Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo

Processor Speed: 2.13 GHz

Number of Processors: 1

Total Number of Cores: 2

L2 Cache: 6 MB

Memory: 4 GB

Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz

Boot ROM Version: MBA31.0061.B07

SMC Version (system): 1.66f54

MacBook Air, OS X Mountain Lion

Posted on Jul 26, 2012 4:25 PM

15 replies

Jul 26, 2012 4:27 PM in response to gorp

1. Power Nap requires a Mac notebook with built-in flash storage. May require a firmware update.
  2. Supported on the following Mac models: iMac (Mid 2011 or newer), Mac mini (Mid 2011 or newer), MacBook Air (Mid 2011 or newer), and MacBook Pro (Early 2011 or newer).

Your model is not supported.

Jul 26, 2012 4:40 PM in response to gorp

I suggest you argue with Apple. You have their information. It has nothing to do with the requirement for the firmware update required for all the supported models and was released yesterday.

Apple Store Customer Service at 1-800-676-2775 or visit online Help for more information.

To contact product and tech support visit online support site.

You can complain to them about it.

Jul 26, 2012 9:42 PM in response to gorp

gorp,

A little friendly advice. The fact that Kappy has 154,000 "points" actually indicates that AT LEAST 15,000 people have found answers of his very helpful in solving their problems here in the forums. So 15,000 TIMES he has helped people resolve their problems. That's a lot of help.

I don't honestly know how he has the time to do it, because that's probably 50,000 posts or more, with real substantial data.

He was simply telling you what Apple notes are the machines that support Power Nap. Apple says Mid-2011 or later can support it, and your machine is older. He can't change your machine, and he can't change your policy. I'm surprised an "IT professional" isn't familiar with how computers work.

Actually, I'm not.

Jul 28, 2012 12:16 AM in response to gorp

The UK site still shows that Macbook Air 2010 are supported :

http://www.apple.com/uk/osx/specs/

But for it to work, the computer needs a firmware update. It was released for 2011 and later models.

For the 2010 model, a firmware update was released during the beta phase, but has not been released publicly. So either there are some bugs and a newer firmware might come later, or there were some bugs they didn't want to solve, or there were no bugs and Apple wanted to give more to users of newer machines...

In any case, if you're brave enough and like to take some risks, you can activate Power Nap on a macbook air 2010 model by following the instructions here :

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1411893

My Macbook Air late 2010 also doesn't show Power Nap?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.