Previous 1 2 Next 28 Replies Latest reply: Aug 15, 2012 6:41 AM by Barney-15E
borjasanz Level 1 Level 1

What happens if I have various Macs and I want to install Mountain Lion on all of them? I only have to pay it once right? I'm scared that they will charge me for every Mac so I only installed it on one for now.

Thanks.

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.7)
Solved by TheSmokeMonster on Jul 26, 2012 4:15 PM Solved

five computers one license.

Reply by applefandan on Jul 26, 2012 4:18 PM Helpful

No, now that Apple has put the update to the Mac App Store, you can install it on as many macs that you own and/or control.

Reply by Tuttle on Jul 26, 2012 4:21 PM Helpful

I think that TheSmokeMonster means that since you can only link five machines to one Apple ID used in the Store, you are limited to that many computers on one license. So, yes, five computers, one license.

All replies

• TheSmokeMonster Level 4 Level 4

five computers one license.

• applefandan Level 4 Level 4

No, now that Apple has put the update to the Mac App Store, you can install it on as many macs that you own and/or control.

• Tuttle Level 7 Level 7
    expertise.frontrow
    FrontRow

I think that TheSmokeMonster means that since you can only link five machines to one Apple ID used in the Store, you are limited to that many computers on one license. So, yes, five computers, one license.

As far as I know, there is no authorizing or deauthorizing in the Mac App Store. You only have to do that in iTunes. So if you have 7 macs, you can use the Mac App Store with all 7 and download Mountain Lion on all 7.

• Tuttle Level 7 Level 7
    expertise.frontrow
    FrontRow

there is no authorizing or deauthorizing in the Mac App Store. You only have to do that in iTunes.

iTunes/MAS accounts are attached to a single Apple ID which only allows five computers to be authorized. You can't separate the two (MAS, iTMS) on to two Apple IDs.

In any case, I've never heard of seven (or more) computers being attached to one Apple ID for the MAS and only five (or fewer) of those seven attached to only the iTunes Store.

But there is no authorizing/deauthorizing in the MAS. No where in the app can I authorize or deauthorize the computer. And it is totally possible to do what you described. Just login to the MAS on all 7, but only use iTunes on 5. Or, don't use iTunes at all. Either way, you are in no way restricted to 5 licenses.

• TheSmokeMonster Level 4 Level 4

Installing ML on multiple computers http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4854

Apple Fan Dan, you need to sign in to install mountain lion, and also install it from the recovery partition, only five computers, par the license agreement can do this with one license. Any more then that and you are breaking your license that you agreed to with your purchase of ML through the MAS.

To put ML on more then five computers, you need to get what is called a Volume License for businesses and educational institutions.

http://www.apple.com/mac/volume-licensing/

• Tuttle Level 7 Level 7
    expertise.frontrow
    FrontRow

Nowhere in the license agreement does it say you can install it on only 5 macs. There is no authorizing in the Mac App Store. The only authorization is your Apple ID, but you don't need to authorize the entire computer. Therefore, you can log in with that apple id on as many computers that you own or control. Volume licensing is for businesses and educational institutions. You do not need to purchase volume licensing if you have more than 5 macs in your home that you own and/or control.

It used to be that the OS could only be installed on 5 macs if you purchased a family pack. Now that the OS is in the MAS, the restriction is no longer in the licensing agreement.

• Tuttle Level 7 Level 7
    expertise.frontrow
    FrontRow

THE MAC APP STORE, APP STORE AND IBOOKSTORE SERVICES

Association of Associated Devices is subject to the following terms:

You may auto-download Eligible Content or download previously-purchased Eligible Content from an Account on up to 10 Associated Devices, provided no more than 5 are iTunes-authorized computers.

http://www.apple.com/legal/itunes/us/terms.html#APPS

I stand corrected. Thank you for posting that. But at least we know that the limit is in fact 10 computers, not 5.

• Tuttle Level 7 Level 7
    expertise.frontrow
    FrontRow

It doesn't say 10 computers. It says 5 computers.

10 "Associated Devices," meaning Macs, iPads, iPhones and iPods, no more than 5 of which can be authorized computers.

• babowa Level 7 Level 7
    expertise.ipad
    iPad

If anyone would like to read the actual SLA for ML, here is a link to the download:

http://www.apple.com/legal/sla/

And here is the relevant excerpt:

B. Mac App Store License. If you obtained a license for the Apple Software from the Mac App Store, then subject to the terms and conditions of this License and as permitted by the Mac App Store Usage Rules set forth in the App Store Terms and Conditions (http://www.apple.com/legal/itunes/ww/) (“Usage Rules”), you are granted a limited, non-transferable, non-exclusive license:

to download, install, use and run for personal, non-commercial use, one (1) copy of the Apple Software directly on each Apple-branded computer running OS X Lion or OS X Snow Leopard (“Mac Computer”) that you own or control;

It is quite clear: you can install it on as many Macs as you own and control. These are the very same terms as for Lion. The OS has separate terms and have nothing to do with the iTunes music, etc. terms.

@ smokemonster:

The article you linked to clearly states at the top:

Summary

If you've purchased OS X Lion or Mountain Lion from the Mac App Store, you're allowed to install it on all of your personal authorized Macs.

• Tuttle Level 7 Level 7
    expertise.frontrow
    FrontRow

That's not the relevant excerpt. The relevant excerpt is contained  in the link included in your post above

as permitted by the Mac App Store Usage Rules set forth in the App Store Terms and Conditions (http://www.apple.com/legal/itunes/ww/)

I've already quoted from the relevant MAS Usage Rules in this topic, but will repost it for your benefit:

THE MAC APP STORE, APP STORE AND IBOOKSTORE SERVICES

Association of Associated Devices is subject to the following terms:

You may auto-download Eligible Content or download previously-purchased Eligible Content from an Account on up to 10 Associated Devices, provided no more than 5 are iTunes-authorized computers.

http://www.apple.com/legal/itunes/us/terms.html#APPS

all of your personal authorized Macs

However, you can only authorize 5 Macs per account.

Previous 1 2 Next