Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

After 10.8 update no sound

I updated to 10.8 last night and today noticed that the sound no longer works. the buttons on the keyboard do nothing and I cannot change the setting from the icon. Under system Preferences all the options are greyed out under sound and I am using an admin account. Has anyone else experienced the same issue?

Running:

2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

8GB RAM DDR3

Early 2009

Thanks for any help you can provide

Rohit

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Jul 26, 2012 6:25 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 26, 2012 7:12 PM

Try changing the Audio Midi settings and zapping the PRAM:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1379

Edit: Apple's article on Audio Midi is gone. Audio Midi Setup in your Applications -> Utilities may need to be reset to 48kHz before some applications can play sound after an update.

3 replies

Dec 22, 2012 4:23 PM in response to Rohit L

In case this doesn't exactly work for you (it didn't for me) open Audio Midi Setup in Applications -> Utilities and note that you may need to de-select mute on each speaker, and reset the speaker sliders in the control panel. This is what worked for me on my mac mini quad i7 running OS 10.8.2. (Even though my top taskbar and keyboard shortcuts indicated my audio was on, my output was nevertheless set to mute in the Audio Midi Setup control panel.)

Thanks to a brody for telling me where to look.

After 10.8 update no sound

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.