7 Replies Latest reply: Jul 26, 2012 8:46 PM by Parrish Jones
Parrish Jones Level 1 Level 1 (100 points)

Before downloading Mt Lion, I had more than 3/4 of my HD available. Now I have near to nothing because I have 200 GIG of Other. What the **** is it and how do I deal with it? The computer is running fine, but I suspect in a while it won't be. Surely there shold be a way to identify this stuff and get rid of it.

I tried Disk Utility and repairing permissions, but it didn't help.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.4), I actually have 10.8 but its not a
  • FishComputer Level 4 Level 4 (1,035 points)

Do you have $10 to spare? Buy Daisy Disk from the Mac App Store, it will tell you where the most stuff on your disk is, and works awesome.

• Parrish Jones Level 1 Level 1 (100 points)

O.K. so I got it. It scanned, and gave me a lot of information but I have no idea how to figure it out. The instructions like on most things like this are scant and unless you are a geek, it makes no sense. E.G. there is a lot of "Mobile Synch bkup that is using a lot of space. However I haven't a clue what is needed and isn't.

For iPhoto Library, there are three rings. One is grey says it is 224 Gig, an inner ring is green says it is 224 Gig, The next in is bluish and says it is photos, muusic etc.

Bottom Line is I haven't a clue what to do with this.

I need to get rid of ****, but it doesn't tell me where the **** is. I have all this stuff called "Other" that does not show up as other on my HD with Daisy DIsk.

• FishComputer Level 4 Level 4 (1,035 points)

[never mind about time machine]

Can you send me a screenshot of daisydisk on the base level (when you first scan and load the drive?)

• Pondini Level 8 Level 8 (38,720 points)

FishComputer wrote:

Try turning Time Machine off.

That won't help the "Other" category.  Local Snapshots are shown separately.

• Pondini Level 8 Level 8 (38,720 points)

Parrish Jones wrote:

. . .

E.G. there is a lot of "Mobile Synch bkup that is using a lot of space. However I haven't a clue what is needed and isn't.

Those are backups of your mobile devices.

I need to get rid of ****, but it doesn't tell me where the **** is. I have all this stuff called "Other" that does not show up as other on my HD with Daisy DIsk.

See The Storage Display for an explanation of what's in "Other."  200 GB sounds like quite a lot, though, so see Where did my Disk Space go?  The steps there may find some large stuff that's hidden.

Here is the screen shot. Time Machine has been turned off because ever since I bought my new powerbook, it could not back up because it saif=d there wasn't enough space on the disk I was using for TM. These are weird things since I only previously everything worked fine.

Screen Shot 2012-07-26 at 11.42.21 PM.png

Thanks for suggestions, however I have to wokr tomorrow and its nearly midnight so Im signing off.