Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Captions not writing correctly in Aperture 3.3.2

I'm running Aperture 3.3.2 on Mountain Lion, and Aperture now writes the IPTC caption field from the master to exported images, not the caption entered in Aperture. This only happens with images from my Olympus E-M5, which writes default into into some of the IPTC fields. I don't see it with my D700 images.

Anyone else seeing this or have a solution?

—Andreas

MacBook Pro (15-inch 2.4/2.2 GHz), Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Jul 26, 2012 7:58 PM

4 replies

Jul 26, 2012 8:10 PM in response to Andreas Yankopolus

Some more information on this:

It looks like Aperture writes different IPTC fields for different images.

In some, it's writing the entered caption text to "Caption-Abstract" and "Description". The caption appears correctly when viewing IPTC data in Preview or uploading to Google Plus.

For the Olympus images, it's writing the caption to "Caption-Abstract", but "OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA" gets written to "Description" and "Image Description" fields. In these cases, the caption comes up as "OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA".

What a mess!

—Andreas

Jul 26, 2012 8:39 PM in response to Andreas Yankopolus

In case anyone else is wondering, quitting Aperture, popping open a terminal window, changing to the Library directory, and typing the following seems to work:

$ find . -name "*.ORF" -exec exiftool -P -r -overwrite_original_in_place -m -EXIF:ImageDescription= {} \;

You'll need to install ExifTool via Fink or some other mechanism.

Aperture appears to re-scan the images on startup and do right thing when writing captions on export from then on. Future imports also need to be stripped of this tag.

Truly ridiculous to have to resort to such measures…

—Andreas

Captions not writing correctly in Aperture 3.3.2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.