Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

RSS and Mail Error

I am aware of changes in RSS support in Mountain Lion. However, should I select a RSS icon in Safari I get an error in Mail that no associated application could be found. What do I have to do to prevent that from happening?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7)

Posted on Jul 26, 2012 8:22 PM

3 replies

Jul 27, 2012 9:46 AM in response to ApexRon

ApexRon,

I'm in the same boat. The error is there because there is no RSS reader in Mail anymore. There used to be a preference in Safari I think to set your RSS reader, but that's gone too. I tried trashing Safari preferences, hoping that would reset it, but that didn't work. Maybe there's a Mail.app preference that can be trashed to reset it, but I couldn't find that either!

@Fishcomputer RSS links are everywhere, even on this very page. Look at the top under the title of this post, and you'll see the little RSS icon. Click that and maybe you'll get the same error we are seeing.

User uploaded file

FWIW I moved all my RSS feeds to google reader, and bought the app Reeder for iOS (they have it for desktop too) and am actually really enjoying that. But it doesn't solve the issue of the error of course.

There's a "Subscribe to Feed" extension you can add to Safari to get the RSS button back, if you're also missing that, but again it is doing the same thing and sending links to Mail.app

Also if anyone is reading this and is frustrated that they lost their RSS feed list in Mail (as I did), you can actually find them in your Library. Go to ~/Library/Mail/V2/RSS and you will see all your previous RSS mailboxes. Click on one of those, and then open the info.plist file (in a text editor) and look for the RSS string. It'll look like this:

<string>http://www.apertureexpert.com/tips/rss.xml</string>

Right-o, so there's a bunch of info on getting back up and running with RSS on your mac now that it's gone in Mail, but I don't have an actual solution to the question asked here. Hopefully someone can help!

-Joseph

Jul 27, 2012 10:18 AM in response to ApexRon

Okay, I have resolved the "Where in the world are my RSS links that I used with Lion Mail?" Just prior to Joseph's reply I found on another blog and modified this command:

find ~/Library/Mail/V2/RSS -name "*.plist" -print0 | xargs -0 grep -hA 1 RSSFeedURLString | grep "<string>" | sed -e 's/.<string>//' -e 's/<\/string>$//' > ~/Desktop/rss.txt

So I added to my new RSS reader NewsBar. Right now one of my RSS Feeds crashes the reader but the support team is working on that.

Final problem: How to stop sending RSS Feed info from Safari to Mail.

Sep 25, 2012 12:50 AM in response to ApexRon

I think I have solved it well it works for me.

Found this on http://www.red-sweater.com/blog/2624/subscribe-to-feed-safari-extension

"Some folks who are just getting in to desktop RSS readers are discovering they don’t have a “default app” setting on their Mac, and Apple no longer provides a simple UI inside Safari for setting the default. The best solution I know for this issue is to download and use the venerable RCDefaultApp to set a default RSS reader for your Mac."

I also added Subscribe to Feed extension button.

in RCDefaultapp have set rss to go to Cappuccino and works just great and I expect will with any rss reader app.

Hope this helps.

RSS and Mail Error

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.