Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Syncing Notes

I recently upgraded by MacBook Pro to OS X Mountain Lion, and I can no longer sync my notes from my iPhone 4 to my Mac, and the notes that were on my Mac (in the mail app) are GONE! I used to use the Mac mail "app" to sync the notes (via a USB cable) between the phone and the laptop. With the new OS X, the notes feature was moved from "mail" to "notes." However, when I connect my iPhone to the laptop, the notes on my phone do not sync with the new notes app and visa-versa. Is there a way to get this back up and running? (WITHOUT USING iCLOUD) Thank you.

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion

Posted on Jul 26, 2012 8:40 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 26, 2012 8:43 PM

No, the only way to sync notes is through a service like iCloud. However, you can use alternative services that support notes, such as Microsoft Exchange if you have those types of accounts. You cannot sync notes through a cable anymore.

9 replies

Jul 26, 2012 8:58 PM in response to applefandan

*$!@*

Thank you for your reply. It's not what I wanted to hear, but I will have to deal and move forward.

I have a follow up question. Is there a way to migrate all of the notes I have on my iPhone (thank GOD they are still there at least) to the iCloud so that they will sync with my Mac? I have dozens and dozens of notes (I use this app heavily).

Jul 26, 2012 9:07 PM in response to applefandan

Nope, this won't do it. It will sync any NEW notes, but the notes that were on my phone stay in the account marked "On My iPhone." Those notes do not migrate to the iCloud, only new notes that I create "in the cloud" will go back and forth. This is also true if I edit the existing notes - will not migrate. It looks like I may have to copy each note into a new note in order for this to work. I really don't want to do that. 😟

Jul 26, 2012 9:24 PM in response to twimom227

Hm, well then iOS works differently from Mountain Lion. When you log in on Mountain Lion, if you have any On My Mac notes, it asks if you want to move them to iCloud. My suggestion is if you have an up to date copy of the notes from your last sync right now, turn on notes syncing in Mountain Lion. Once you open the notes app, you should be prompted to move them if you wish.

Jul 26, 2012 9:34 PM in response to applefandan

That's the problem, the notes are no longer on my Mac AT ALL. When I first logged on to the Mac after the upgrade, I opened the new notes app, and all of my notes were GONE. It was empty. I turned on note syncing (via iCloud) on my iPhone and Mac but nothing moved from the phone to the Mac.

I'm just going to cut and paste on my phone. With "select all" it goes some what quickly. But this whole mess has caused a lot of undo anxiety and took up about 3 hours of time I don't have.

Thanks for your help.

Aug 24, 2012 10:05 AM in response to applefandan

I'd like to thank applefandan for the helpful remarks. I also was concerned about no longer being able to sync Notes between my iPad, iPhone, and my iMac after upgrading to Mountain Lion. I have Microsoft Exchange at work so I can easily sync Notes between the Exchange server and my desktop iMac, and still can using Mountain Lion. I previously was able to then sync Notes using a cable and iTunes to get them onto my portable devices. Now that mechanism has vanished in Mountain Lion. So, I took applefandan's advice and turned on iCloud on all my devices including my desktop computers. I then manually(!) cut and pasted all my notes from my Exchange account to my iCould account. I then turned off the syncing of Notes using the Exchange server. It all works well now, but I would have rather not used iCloud. I would have preferred to have been able to go into the Settings of my iPhone and iPad, and select Account/Exchange and have a toggle there to sync Notes, but it does not exist.

Syncing Notes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.