Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

FCP7 rendering and exporting time takes hours for a 7 min clip

Hello!

With extreme difficulty, I converted a .mp4 file (which was originally an .m2ts file that a producer sent me) into a .mov file using a converter I found online. It needed to render as soon as I dropped it onto the timeline, and editing it has taken hours and hours because the playback lags, and the render takes about 3 hours every time. Exporting it takes even longer, and I don't think it's so much a problem of speed: I use a MacbookAir 1.86 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo with 4GB of RAM.

(I'm exporting using the current settings, self-containted file, everything.)

Is it because the settings are so different from the original clip? The movie inspector on Quicktime tells me that it uses the MPEG-4 codec at 29.97 frames per second, and is 1920 x 1080. I think I set the FCP project at a AppleProRes422 HQ, thinking that that would be the output. But I guess I was mistaken...

I would really appreciate some help!

Final Cut Pro 7, Mac OS X (10.6.8), 1.86 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM

Posted on Jul 26, 2012 8:59 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 26, 2012 10:04 PM

>I converted a .mp4 file (which was originally an .m2ts file that a producer sent me) into a .mov file

Whole lotta convertin' goin' on there. First off, a ".mov file" could be anything from a codec that works well with FCP to one that chokes it to death. Sounds like you converted it to the latter. For example, a .mov file using the H.264 codec used in FCP will cause all sorts of playback problems and will require near constant rendering because it doesn't work natively in FCP. Simple as that.

Go back to the original .m2ts file and convert it with MPEG Streamclip or Clipwrap to a format that will match your FCP Sequence settings exactly and you won't need to render much at all until you've added enough effects to the clips. Plus you'll get the added benefit of not having the image degradation that all your unneeded converting was doing to the quality.

-DH

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 26, 2012 10:04 PM in response to tsarinelle

>I converted a .mp4 file (which was originally an .m2ts file that a producer sent me) into a .mov file

Whole lotta convertin' goin' on there. First off, a ".mov file" could be anything from a codec that works well with FCP to one that chokes it to death. Sounds like you converted it to the latter. For example, a .mov file using the H.264 codec used in FCP will cause all sorts of playback problems and will require near constant rendering because it doesn't work natively in FCP. Simple as that.

Go back to the original .m2ts file and convert it with MPEG Streamclip or Clipwrap to a format that will match your FCP Sequence settings exactly and you won't need to render much at all until you've added enough effects to the clips. Plus you'll get the added benefit of not having the image degradation that all your unneeded converting was doing to the quality.

-DH

Jul 27, 2012 4:36 AM in response to tsarinelle

When I'm dealing with a variety of consumer codecs, I convert them all to ProResLT at the same frame size and frame rate.

I have presets set up in Compressor for most of these and use Clipwrap2 for the few that Compressor won't address.

So the short answer is to set up your sequence to ProRes and convert your material to match.

re: hardware specs -

FCP is a 32 bit program so won't use more than 4 GB RAM. For straight cutting of ProRes, your limit is likely to be hard drive speed - make sure you have a fast external your laptop.

On the other hand, you can set up Compressor to run with multiple instances (virtual cluster) which will take advantage of multiple cores and more RAM. For that you need a bigger machine.

x

FCP7 rendering and exporting time takes hours for a 7 min clip

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.