Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My iphone no longer provides a functional personal hotspot via usb or bluetooth, how do I fix this?

I am currently running a 3gs (never jailbroken or unlocked) with ios 5.1.1. The computer I am connecting it to is a Macbook Pro Early 2011 15". I am in Canada with Rogers as a telecommunication provider. I do have plenty of data and have used this feature in previous months (although very very rarely).

I have heard there might be a bug with 5.1.1 however I haven't heard of anything substancial to verify these claims.

I have tried the usual steps. Turning off wifi on both, plugging in the iphone (or turning on bluetooth), I have a connection or at least the iphone shows a connection and flashes blue on top. But my computer has no traffic at all. It says it has a connection and IP but nothing else. No other features are open nor am I savvy enough to manually enter other settings other than the automatic ones.

Can anyone else provide some help? I have searched the forums but nothing on other threads have worked or is overly recent/applicable (ie. iPad problems). Can anyone out there in the community provide some assistance or tips to try and solve this problem?

If I have to wait until io6 I will but I am heading back to school soon and would love to have wifi for the commute.

No jailbreak or paid applications please.

iPhone 3GS

Posted on Jul 26, 2012 9:29 PM

2 replies

Jul 31, 2012 9:07 PM in response to UnambiguouslyVague

bump ... hoping Mountain Lion would do something but sadly no. Still having problems. I have even tried resetting iphone's network settings, no change.

I did locate some threads that helped other users with macs and pcs but i think it might be slightly outdated. They are looking for a file in the preference folder "extentions" maybe I am just not seeing it but I can't find the folder or the file they need inside of it. I reinstalled itunes and repaired my permissions....still no success.

Anyone out there have any success with their usb/bluetooth tethering?

Aug 22, 2012 9:16 AM in response to UnambiguouslyVague

A quick update with my situation. I went to the Apple Store Genius Bar and the girl I talked with had worked with Rogers and knew that it was probably a problem with my service provider rather than the iphone itself.

I checked with Rogers and it was (Ya Genius Bar, Boo Rogers) Anyways, I had to change my plan to accomadate data sharing (which I actualluy saved money on - due to a very old phone "Staff" plan.

So now I can get my bluetooth networking just fine, but I still have problems with usb. It now is not even noticing it is connected in network options while still being plugged in and detected with iTunes.

Still looking for help with my USB tethering. But glad I got my tethering working somehow in order to pair with my upcoming purchase of an iPad (YAY)

My iphone no longer provides a functional personal hotspot via usb or bluetooth, how do I fix this?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.