Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail password issues

Before, in Lion and previous version of OSX, I could leave my password "blank" in my email accounts under Mail preferences so that when I sign in I have to type in my password for my email account. I do this for security purposes as other people use my computer. Now, with Mountain Lion, the password sticks every time I put it in. I even tried typing in a wrong password so when Mail opens it asks me for the correct password, but the correct password sticks. Any suggestions for this issue?

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion, i7 brand new

Posted on Jul 26, 2012 10:38 PM

9 replies

Jul 26, 2012 10:55 PM in response to bikinijack

One thing you can do to make sure other people can't sign into your email account is to change the security settings on your login keychain. Open up Keychain Access and right click on the login keychain. From there you can (carefully) set the keychain to lock after a certain number of minutes of inactivity. Once you do this, Mail should refuse to log into your email account until the keychain is unlocked. Keep in mind that will affect other programs that use passwords as well. There are some other settings in the keys themselves that you can change.

Mail password issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.