Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My trackpad suddenly stopped working a few days ago. Out is unresponsive to my gestures and moves on its own. What's wrong?!

My trackpad stopped working suddenly. I turned on my MacBook pro and it was completely unresponsive. It even seems to have a mind of its own moving te mouse around and clicking on things. What's wrong with it? Do I have to take it into an apple store for service or can I fix it myself?

MacBook Pro, iOS 5.1.1

Posted on Jul 26, 2012 11:25 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 24, 2012 6:46 PM

Found the below useful from a couple of different post. Just complied them together.

SMC Rest

1. Attach the MagSafe power cord

2. Power off the MacBook Pro

3. Press the L-Shift/Control/Option and Power button at the same time and hold.

4. Release them all at the same time

5. Then power on the MacBook Pro

NVRAM PRAM Reset

1. Shut down the computer.

2. Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R. You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously in step 4.

3. Turn on the computer.

4. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears.

5. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for the second time.

6. Release the keys.

The fix below that finally worked on my wife's laptop.

BC_mac_girl

I just have to say, I just started having issues with the trackpad on my MBP and had was given no help from tech support. I would do the 2 finger swipe up to see all of a site and nothing would happen. My MBP would open links on its own and I was so frustrated.... I saw a post about someone applying pressure to the pad, so I did and nothin happend 😟 I was mad and gently smacked my track pad several times, and low and behold, it started working again!!! I have no idea how long it will work for, but some things do need a spanking to behave. Maybe this will help someone, maybe not, but it worked for me. 🙂 good luck y'all!!

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3915638?answerId=18333122022#18333122022

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 24, 2012 6:46 PM in response to DPapa13

Found the below useful from a couple of different post. Just complied them together.

SMC Rest

1. Attach the MagSafe power cord

2. Power off the MacBook Pro

3. Press the L-Shift/Control/Option and Power button at the same time and hold.

4. Release them all at the same time

5. Then power on the MacBook Pro

NVRAM PRAM Reset

1. Shut down the computer.

2. Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R. You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously in step 4.

3. Turn on the computer.

4. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears.

5. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for the second time.

6. Release the keys.

The fix below that finally worked on my wife's laptop.

BC_mac_girl

I just have to say, I just started having issues with the trackpad on my MBP and had was given no help from tech support. I would do the 2 finger swipe up to see all of a site and nothing would happen. My MBP would open links on its own and I was so frustrated.... I saw a post about someone applying pressure to the pad, so I did and nothin happend 😟 I was mad and gently smacked my track pad several times, and low and behold, it started working again!!! I have no idea how long it will work for, but some things do need a spanking to behave. Maybe this will help someone, maybe not, but it worked for me. 🙂 good luck y'all!!

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3915638?answerId=18333122022#18333122022

My trackpad suddenly stopped working a few days ago. Out is unresponsive to my gestures and moves on its own. What's wrong?!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.