Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Adobe Bridge CS5.1 crashes if directory contains .zip archive

Every time I try to open a directory that contains .zip archive in Adobe Bridge CS5.1 it crashes. This started to happen after Mountain Lion upgrade.

It crashes even when I generate .zip archive in a directory that is already opened in Bridge.

Is it related to some new Mountain Lion "security feature" that can be turned off? My computers only purpose is running Adobe Creative Suite so this is pretty big issue. Browsing directories in Bridge is like walking through the mine field, you newer know where .zip archive is waiting.

iMac (27-inch Mid 2011), Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on Jul 27, 2012 12:45 AM

15 replies

Jul 31, 2012 8:32 AM in response to ip00

Yep, same here. Running Adobe bridge CS5.1, upgraded to Mountain Lion yesterday. Navigated to folder that contained a zip file and Bridge crashed. I removed the zip file, launched Bridge again,and went to that same folder. Worked perfectly. On a hunch, I dragged a zip file back into that folder in Bridge, and *WHAP* down she goes again.

Looks like we wait for a fix. *sigh*

Unless...File type association somehow comes into it? Interesting, I just checked (it's under Preferences) and neither a zip file or a doc file is in the list.

Furthermore, there doesn't seem to be any way to add a new file type. Hm. Don't know if it has anything to do with the crashing, but man, what a pain this is! 😟

Jul 31, 2012 9:08 AM in response to mbprozilla

OK, I believe I've got a workaround. Locate a zip file, do a Get Info in the Finder. Change the "Open with:" from Archive Utility app to Stuffit Expander app.

Now go to Bridge and open that folder containing that zip file. Does it open without crashing? If so, go back to Get Info and choose to "Change all" to Stuffit Expander.

Now you can navigate without crashing (at least with zip files!)

Aug 1, 2012 9:37 PM in response to wardiefromnsw

Ooooops.I thought it might be too good to be true (a work-around) After using Bridge CS5 a little more intensley, it started crashing time after time while browsing thumbnails. This is NOT GOOD! I depend on Bridge for browsing over 70 thousand images and I am having to go back to using Aperture which is also crashy. I wish I had never upgraded to MLion now and I don't now if it is safe to even think of returning to Lion.

Aug 14, 2012 11:23 AM in response to mbprozilla

It works, but only kind of... like @wardiefromnsw, it's still beyond any stability it used to have. I changed the file type association, but it's still too flakey for me to use on any consistant basis.

Is there another good file structure browser out there besides the finder - which lacks so much compared to Bridge. I can't go to an image only browser because I use it for all my client files.

Aug 20, 2012 7:50 PM in response to oregonbum

Now I am getting seriously annoyed by this problem.

Bridge crashes as soon as I open it now. It worked fairly well after I cleared out most of the non-image related files/folders, but then today it crashed and won't reopen again.

Roaring Apps shows Bridge 4.0.5 compatibility with Mountain Lion, but I have Bridge 4.1.0.54 and it crashes every time. I have run disk verify and permissions to no avail. HELP!

Adobe Bridge CS5.1 crashes if directory contains .zip archive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.