Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

i had upgraded my mac book pro to snow leopard but the cd /dvd is not working on this os

hi,

I had upgraded my macbook Pro with a snow leopard os and added parallels and windows 7 prof , but the cd/dvd is not detecting please help me out

Posted on Jul 27, 2012 2:11 AM

3 replies

Jul 27, 2012 3:22 AM in response to Jain.vikas

Jain.vikas wrote:

hi,

I had upgraded my macbook Pro with a snow leopard os and added parallels and windows 7 prof , but the cd/dvd is not detecting please help me out

When you use a virtual machine software, it can "take over" the optical drive for the virtual machine operating system, so the disk won't appear in OS X or on the desktop. You need to disable the virtual machine from accessing the optical drive. Usually if the virtual machine is not booted up, then control returns to OS X for the hardware.

If the disk is not appearing in Windows, it's because you need to enable the virtual machine to access that piece of hardware.

First use the Apple Menu to Software Update 10.6.3 to 10.6.8

Next update Parallels to the latest version, if you get a grey screen and the Mac refuses to boot, hold the Shift key down (Safe Mode) while booting up again to disable Parallels and other at boot kernel externsion files, update Parallels and then reboot normally.

While in Windows in the virtual machine, Windows Update to the latest version (Control Panel) and also make a "snapshot" this way you can revert to that for updates or if you get malware. Install the free Microsoft Security Essentials, it's good enough in most cases as you can "fall back" on the virtual machine snapshot if you get infected.

i had upgraded my mac book pro to snow leopard but the cd /dvd is not working on this os

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.