Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Migration assistant - from wifi to ethernet mid-transfer...

I am currently transferring info off my old PC, to my new Mac - using the Migration Assistant. The data selected is rather large, totalling 190gb.

I began using wifi, but it's telling me it will take days - for obvious reasons.

My question: If I were to now attach an ethernet cable between the two, will the migration assistant automatically start using the cable, as opposed to continuing with the transfer over wifi? In other words - will the MA recognise the ethernet cable "mid-transfer", or would I need to stop and restart the process?

Furthermore - I've been told I can stop and relaunch the migration assistant at any time?

Is this advisable/safe to do?

The only options presented to me, that suggests being able to stop the process, is the "go back" button - which doesn't even highlight if I hover over it with the cursor - so I'm not convinced I can simply stop it... I don't want to risk having to start everything again, but if someone can confirm that were I to re-start, that MA would pick up what has already been copied, and won't duplicate - then I would give it a go...

May thanks!

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Jul 27, 2012 1:44 AM

There are no replies.

Migration assistant - from wifi to ethernet mid-transfer...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.