Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problem with Mountain Lion

Hi!

I bought a MacBook pro with Retina Display a couple of weeks back. Everything was fine with the MBPr when it was running on Lion. I upgraded to Mountain Lion yesterday and since then the MBPr began behaving in a way I'm not familiar with.

For starters, Safari seems to get stuck when I use it full-screen and try to add a tab. In fact, I don't see the panel containing the File, Edit, View etc. I need to press esc to exit full-screen.

I hear a strange sound when I open the lid after the MBPr has been on sleep mode for a while. This has happened pretty much time. And as I'm typing this post, I have heard a barking sound once. What's the problem?

I heard a loud screeching sound when viewing a youtube video last night.

Can you pls explain these? This is my first Mac. I need some feedback to reassure myself.

Thank you in anticipation, dudes.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Jul 27, 2012 2:05 AM

8 replies

Jul 27, 2012 11:29 AM in response to musfique

Yeah i'm facing the same issues too on my brand new Macbook Pro Retina.

Safari is acting up since upgrading.The Zooming is often slow, the cursors sometime disappear, some parts of textfields dont refresh properly in safari. Autocorrect is not working properly either in safari. Gestures sometimes are not working as expected.

The developer tools are soo buggy, wish they will fix these issues sooner. I'm totally struck.

I wish i could go back to Lion ! Can any one suggest me on how to downgrade to Lion ? This is my first mac, i dont have a copy of Lion.

Jul 29, 2012 3:22 PM in response to musfique

I'm having a ton of problems since upgrading too. Gestures don't work right. Previous and forward swipe in safari either get stuck or they go back too many pages. I can't x out of tabs at times. (no x appears). Also when that happens, I can't quit safari at all. The quit option is greyed out. Have to force quit. Websites aren't rendering properly at times and I'm having some problems where my sound stops working entirely even with volume turned all the way up.

In short, this was a VERY sloppy release for Apple. Every new software has it's bugs in the begininng, but this is entirely unacceptable. Steve Jobs, should be rolling over in his grave. Then there's the fact that no pre mid-2011 macs can utilize the new mirrored airplay. Sure, it's in the product description (albeit burried way at the bottom), but when you're running a late 2010 mac, one doesn't expect to encounter any compatibility issues. This is a feature they advertised heavily. It should therefore be plastered at the top of the page in big red letters, and a note should pop up before it allows you to purchase, giving you the option to back out if you choose. I am tempted to call apple and demand my money back, because frankly, this upgrade is almost entirely useless to me, and with all the bugs, it's made my computer an unstable mess. Apple if you are reading, I'm a very unhappy customer, and I have a feeling I'm not alone!

musfique- As far as those sounds you're hearing, that is not a good thing. That seems like it's hardware related. I've had fans that were getting ready to die on one or two of my desktop PCs make screaching sounds, and of course hard drives have been known to do that too before failing, but isn't the new Macbook Pro Solid state? If it's solid state, I doubt it's a hard drive problem. Maybe it is fan related since you said you heard it while watching video. That would be when the fans kick in. Regardless, it's not normal and definitely something you need to get taken care of. I'd call tech support or take it into an apple store and get them to fix or replace it under waranty. Don't forget to back up your data just in case.

If anyone has any suggestions of the Safari bugs, I'm sure the rest of us are all ears!

Jul 30, 2012 10:47 AM in response to JFW3

I Agree with you JFW3.

I Quit Safari for now. Moved to Chrome.

Even though Chrome is not ready for the Retina Display, I have got the beta version which is working pretty good though. Yes i do miss some features from Safari, but i can live without them.

I'm primarly a web app developer who uses developer tools alot, the new developer tools in safari are soo crappy, i should say not usable at all.

Jul 30, 2012 1:17 PM in response to javachap

Thank you, JFW3. I'll surely take it to an Apple Store when I go to NYC next month.

Could anyone answer one thing? When I ran Lion, I'd put my Mac (retina display, 512 GB storage, 8 GB RAM) on sleep mode before going to bed at night and in the morning I'd find the battery level exactly at the same level. But after installing Mountain Lion, I now find that battery goes down 2-3 percent overnight. Why this is so? This is my first Mac and its giving me much pain.

Your opinions are solicited, dudes.

Jul 30, 2012 5:03 PM in response to musfique

2-3 percent drop doesn't seem too unreasonable on sleep. If it were 20-30% then I'd say you have a problem but what you're talking about isn't much at all. It could be the new OS uses more power when it sleeps than Lion did. I'm no expert so this is just speculation. It could also be that your battery is starting to age a little bit and isn't holding the charge as long. Usually when you see power drops on sleep its because something is preventing the comptuter from actually going into sleep when the lid is closed. I don't see that being the problem here because we're only talking a couple of percentage points each night, but again, I'm no expert.

On those safari issues, I'm taking javachaps advice and moving over to chrome for a while till apple gets safari straightened out. An interesting update on that though. I read in another post that removing the safari icon from the doc and then replacing it again will solve the buggy performance. I tried it and believe it or not it completely fixed the issues for a little while. This morning though, I noticed the bugs are starting to creep back. I'm still far more functional than I was before, so it might be worth trying. You might have better luck.

Ultimately though, I would tell you to not give up on Apple. I own and have owned both PCs and Macs, but when it comes to build quality and overall stability, I've always had a lot more luck with macs. They are just smoother and tighter machines, this mountain lion issue being a rare exception. Just hang in there, and I think once you get everything working the way it should, you'll be very happy you made the purchase. Good luck!

Problem with Mountain Lion

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.