Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCal Alerts/Notifications not working for items with same start & end time

For some repeating items like medication, I use iCal/Calendar entries with the same start & end time (e.g., 15:00 / 15:00), and have an alert set for 0 minutes before.

For me, these appear more clearly on my daily calendar, v. having an all-day event with an alert at the due time.

On Mountain Lion, the alerts are no longer working, either as 'default', 'message' or 'message with sound'. Instead, I see a brief flash on the right hand side of the menu bar.

BUT, if I change the end date to something later (!5:00 start, !5:10 end), all is fine again.

I've tried all sorts of combinations, and it does appear to be only the events with same start and end time that aren't working. A bug? Anyone else see this? Anyone else use the same technique for certain daily events, or have a better idea?

Thanks!

M. Wright

Ssn Diego, CA &

Guildford, UK

OS X Mountain Lion

Posted on Jul 27, 2012 4:11 AM

10 replies

Jul 31, 2012 2:19 PM in response to adriantoll

I've discovered that Reminders can be set up as repeating items, so I'm also trying those out now in place of Calendar items. When you mark a reminder as completed, it propagates a new one for the next day, although you still need to delete the old one manually to get rid of the clutter.

What I'm really missing, however, is the ability to say how long you want to 'snooze' an alert for - 15 minutes, 1 hour, 1 hour before event starts, etc. IOS never had this, but OS X did, and it would at least sync back to the iPhone. A sad loss of functionality that will hopefully be corrected.

Aug 2, 2012 3:28 AM in response to leatherdog

Some more odd behaviour with iCal alerts.

Even though iCal alerts are turned off on the Mac running Mountain Lion they sync to both my iPad and iPhone as having an alert at 00:00. The events on the Mac are definitely showing up as having no alerts set! Entering events on the iOs devices works as usual. It's driving me mad. Every event on my Mac entered since Mountain Lion shows up with an alert on my iPad, taking up two lines instead of one in the day view! Nothing I have tried seems to make any difference.

Aug 9, 2012 8:05 AM in response to leatherdog

I have a iCal event set up for a all day event and have a notification to let me remind me 14 hours before that day. It used to work fine with Lion, but since i updated to mountain lion, it reminds me every 5-10 mins. Even after i closed it (not snooze). This is getting very annoying to have a notification alert every 5-10 mins for a event that is 14 hours away.

In short I am swamped with notification and want to know how to disable this.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Aug 9, 2012 8:23 AM in response to leatherdog

I experienced the same frustration after upgrading to Mountain Lion. I have to manage many medications and use iCal to keep track of when I take each dosage. These dosages can vary from day to day, so a repeating event isn't really helpful in my situation. Until this latest OS release, I was able to create an event with the same start and end time - with no alert - and it would stay that way when I synced with my iPad & iPhone.

Now that I'm using Mountain Lion, however, my calendar on my iPad and iPhone are cluttered with those double-lined "At Time of Event" alerts that Gary 1401 mentioned above. And just as he described, if I create an event on either of the iOS devices everything works as usual.

I suppose the best work around is as leatherdog suggested, i.e. creating events that are ten minutes in duration. As a detail-driven, organization-loving VIrgo, however, I am driven nuts by this sort of bug.

Aug 31, 2012 7:18 PM in response to leatherdog

I run Mac OS X 10.6.8 (Snow Leopard) on a Mac Book Pro because I need Rosetta to compile my medical diagnostic database from a PPC app. I also installed Mac OS X 10.8.1 (Mountain Lion) on another new MBP.

I was a MobileMe customer and moved to the iCloud when it rolled-out. Now, every time I try to open iCal on the MBP running Snow Leopard an alect says:

The server is busy or unavailable

The server is currently unable to handle the connection due to a temporary overloading or maintenance of the server. If this continues you should contact the server administrator.

You may try to connect to the server again or take the account offline.

It it supposed to work after migrating to iCloud but it is not working anymore on the machine running Mac OS X 10.6.8 snf has not run well since the introduction of Mac OS X 10.8.1

Aug 31, 2012 11:49 PM in response to IatroCom1

You cannot sync calendars or contacts with iCloud using Snow Leopard: iCal is trying to connect to the MobileMe server which is closed, and you need to remove it from Preferences>Accounts.

You may be able to sync your calendars to iCloud by means of an unsupported hack, and there is a convoluted hack which has been reported as working for Address Book (and as not working by others - I've not tried it), but iCloud's other facilities will not work. This page outlines the situation with Snow Leopard and iCloud, including a link to the calendar hack:

http://www.wilmut.webspace.virginmedia.com/notes/icloudSL.html

There are a couple of third-party solutions which may be of interest.

• BusyCal is an iCal-like calendar application with extra facilities: it can sync with the iCloud Calendar while running on Leopard, Snow Leopard or Lion. A single user licence (two machines allowed) is $49.99.
  • Soho Organizer can sync Calendars and Contacts with iCloud on Leopard, Snow Leopard and Lion. A single user licence (multiple machines allowed) is $99.99.

(I have no connection with either firm.)

Sep 9, 2012 12:01 PM in response to leatherdog

That's a brilliant find, leatherdog. There is a bug in Mountain Lion's Calendar App where an alarm will not sound if the appointment's start and end times are the same. Thank you. It explains the exact problem I had.

Therefore:

1. I told Apple about the bug here to encourge a fix:http://www.apple.com/feedback/ical.html.
  2. A work around for me is to ensure each appointment lasts at least a minute.

iCal Alerts/Notifications not working for items with same start & end time

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.