Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problems with mail after Mountain Lion installation.

After updating to Mountain Lion from Lion, my mail app cannot connect to the SMTP server provided so, I cannot send emails although I receive mails.

I reenter all data for the e-mail account, I restarted my MacBook and the problem still stands.

I called the Internet provider to check if they have some system problem but I was told that everything is in order with my account.

Once I try to send an e-mail a box from mail appears suggesting change of SMTP server or recheck of the validity of info provided.

Everything is entered correctly and, the problem remains.

Can somebody please, help?!

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion

Posted on Jul 27, 2012 3:43 AM

13 replies

Jul 27, 2012 4:05 AM in response to francescofromvr

Francesco thanks but it doesn't seem to work anyway.

I am using POP setting and, this part works, I am getting emails.

The SMTP setting is without a password it is linked to the username only. It worked this way previously.

Anyhow, I tried and went to Mail, Contacts and Calendars and, when I selected the mail account in question I just got info that the account is enabled and that's it. In my keychain I have never had and still don't have a password connected to the mail account itself.

Any other ideas?

Jul 27, 2012 4:08 AM in response to francescofromvr

If you haven't already, open the Mail app>click on the word Mail up in the Menu bar>click on Preferences>click on the "Account" tab>click on the User Aoount you want to set to highlight it>clcik on the "Account Information" tab over to the right>go down to the line reading "Outgoing Mail Server (SMTP)" and click on the drop-down box little arrow at the right end of the line>click on the bottom line "Edit SMTP Server List">click on first the "Account Information" tab and enter correct settings, then click on the "Advanced" tab and enter those settings>click "OK".

Hope this helps 🙂

Jul 27, 2012 4:22 AM in response to Radiation Mac

I did this several times....I reentered same data twice hoping that it will reset something, but it didn't.

It still doesn't work, I am at work and I have to send important mails.......it is so frustrating.

In the part of the settings box after the "Outgoing Mail Server (SMTP):" I am getting the set SMTP server with the crucial (Offline) info after it. So, mail is online I am getting mails but the SMTP appears to be offline.

This is hopeless I think. I restarted mail for several times, the Mac twice as well hoping that it will get back on track but the problem persists. thx for trying anyway.

Jul 27, 2012 5:33 AM in response to gondor81

Believe it or not I found a solution 🙂 and, as it ususally is at the last place I thought possible.

I manually put one of the default ports numbers (25, 465, 587) as a custom port.

Mail>Preferences>select the account>go to Outgoing Mail Server (SMTP): select Edit SMTP server list....>Advanced>select Use custom port: add any of the default port numbers, listed in the previous (above) option of Use default ports (25, 465, 587). I used 25.

So, insted of selecting Use default ports (25, 465, 587) select Use custom port: 25.

Good luck!

Oct 29, 2012 10:40 AM in response to gondor81

wow... I've tried all the above suggestions, and find some work some of the time, but nothing works all of the time. A few weeks back I gave up & loaded Postbox and have had no problems whatsoever with sending emails on my Mac... Reverting to an earlier version than Mail 6.2 isn't an option, right? Mountain Lion has shown to have some really cool features, I love it... but now that the honeymoon is over, I find myself wanting for the good old days, of a rock solid OS and apps that turned me into a man of many macs.

Problems with mail after Mountain Lion installation.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.