Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Install fails after a few minutes of the installation process

I successfully downloaded Mountain Lion onto my circa 2010 macbook pro (8gb) but every time I try to install it, it runs the installation for a few minutes and then gives the following error:

'Install failed. OS X could not be installed on your computer. The install encountered an error that caused the installation to fail. Contact the software manufacturer for assistance. Click restart to restart your computer and try installing again.'

Every time I restart the same problem occurs. Any thoughts on a solution?

Posted on Jul 27, 2012 4:11 AM

9 replies

Jul 27, 2012 6:00 AM in response to 7426k

FYI, I contacted customer support through the Apple website. They called me within seconds and asked me to erase - reinstall from Time Machine backup.

I must say, the Apple customer support was absurdly good. Answered my questions, allayed my fears about erasing, waited patiently while I worked through her directions...Really helped make a bad situation much more palatable. It's that kind of customer service that keeps customers even when problems arise.

Install fails after a few minutes of the installation process

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.