Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Small yellow balls emitted from MacBook Pro?

Hi, I have a Macbook Pro, with a strange problem. Every now and then, a shiny, tiny yellow silicone type ball comes rolling out of the laptop . I'm wondering what my computer is emitting and when the machine will stop working. If you have any idea about what's going on, do let me know.

Thanks,

Sandeep

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Jul 27, 2012 5:31 AM

12 replies

Mar 18, 2013 10:04 AM in response to Liornis

Don't get snippy. lol

I'm trying to help you figure this out and all I asked for is as much detail as possible. I can't read your mind on what you're seeing and if I can't get a good idea from your first pic, don't chew my head off. You're there, I'm here.

Anyway, if these are coming out of your ports and such, and it's not something that's getting lodged in the ports due to the way you're carrying it in a dirty bag or something, then it has to be some kind of adhesive that's dried up and is possibly coming out because it's dislodging itself from the parts it was on due to the heat within the system. If that's the case, I can't answer if this will eventually cause any issues for your laptop, all I can suggest at this point is if it's something that happens regularly and a lot, take all those non-balls (that's right, they're not perfect balls, lol) in a small bag and the laptop with you to an Apple Store and tell them what you're experiencing.

This issue appears to be a minor one since only a few of you have it, but it doesn't mean it's not a problem, just that Apple hasn't see a large report of it.

Mar 18, 2013 10:55 AM in response to sandpjain2

From The images in this thread, I would say that it looks like a packet of dessicant got damaged, and has "leaked" into your carrying bag. It it is the dessicant, then it shouldn't harm your computer, especially since it is designed to absorb liquids to keep your electronics dry. Keep in mind that most dessicsnts are not healthy to swallow, so keep them safe frmo children & pets.

May 1, 2013 2:12 PM in response to SwankPeRFection

I have been dealing with the same problem on my mac book, accept the yellow balls aren't falling out, they are just getting wedged in my dvd/cd player and my head phone jack. It's making life super inconveinient. I can't listen to music with my head phones any more or put a dvd/cd in. Do you have any further information on what this could be? I don't understand how it's getting stuck in my mac book. I take pretty good care of it.

Nov 27, 2013 3:03 PM in response to sandpjain2

Me too, Macbook Air late 2010. Thought I was going nuts. The bottom of my bag is filled with them. Thanks to this forum I now know where they came from. I think. Unless the bag came with them.

One got lodged in each of my 2 usb ports. One a long time ago which I ignored (just used the other, rare anyway). Then today the other port stopped accepting the cable.

It took a flashlight and close look to see wha it was. Same as in the pics provided here. Tweezed them both out, then dug them out of the bottom of my bag and I'm good to go.

My STM bag takes the laptop vertically and by random luck the port would fall on a bead.

Nov 27, 2013 3:30 PM in response to sandpjain2

GeekBoy,From.Illinois has it right. it is dessicant, bag probably ruputured in shipping, or from a carry case that you may have purchased.

If you are concerned ,bring it to an Apple store and if you are under warranty, they should take the bottom off and empty them, and if you are not under wrranty, if you ask nicely they will probably do it anyway.

They should not cause issues unless some were to get jammed in a fan.

Easy fix.

Small yellow balls emitted from MacBook Pro?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.