Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Trouble in Running AHT Remotely via Network

The Optical Drive in my iMac has stopped working so I wanted to run the Apple Hardware Test to find out whether it could solve the problem.

I inserted the original iMac installation CD to my MacBook Pro and followed the instructions. I disconnected all EHD, printer, scanner, etc., leaving just Apple Mouse and the Blue Tooth Keyboard. I pressed and held the 'Option' key on my iMac while restarting as instructed, but the only startup disk option that appeared was the Macintosh HD. There was no dropdown menu as depicted in the AHT instructions. I tried several times. I have tried Option + D and D as well to no avail.

Then I tried to change the start up disk from System Preferences. There was 'Network' besides the Macintosh HD so I selected it and clicked 'Restart'. An error message appeared: "The bless tool was unable to set the current boot disk". (FYI, I did reformat my iMac using Disk Utilities a while back, set to Mac OS Extended (Journaled HFS+), no partition, with Owners Enabled).

So I have been unable to run the Apple Hardware Test remotely.

Anyone could help me with this? Thanks so much in advance!

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8), November 2007.

Posted on Jul 27, 2012 5:24 AM

8 replies

Jul 27, 2012 9:41 AM in response to Linc Davis

Ummm... but the instructions states that you can run it remotely from one computer to another computer using either wifi network or Ethernet...

FYI, I was using the Remote Install Mac OS X from the Utitilies. Here are the step-by-step screen shots (from my MBP, in which I inserted the original Mac OS X Install CD that contains the AHT):

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Now, when I pressed and held 'Option' Key while restarting my iMac (with the unfunctioning Optical Drive), the only option that appeared on the screen was the Macintosh HD, there was no Dropdown Menu like pictured below.

User uploaded file

According to this, we should be able to run the AHT remotely from a different computer because the app has made the content of the Optical Drive on one computer to be available for another through the Network.

User uploaded file

Thanks for trying to help anyway, I appreciate it.

Jul 27, 2012 10:24 AM in response to Linc Davis

Ah so I have misunderstood the part where it says:

"You can use Remote Install Mac OS X to install Mac OS X on a Mac without Optical Drive, using another computer's Optical Drive. You can also use Remote Install Mac OS X to use Disk Utility, Apple Hardware Test, or a Utility DVD"

Is there no way to test the iMac Optical Drive other than connecting it to an external Optical Drive then???

Thanks.

Jul 27, 2012 11:10 AM in response to Linc Davis

Oh and upon further thoughts... At that stage the problem was acatually for the iMac to boot from Network instead of from Macintosh HD. It failed to recognize the Network. It hasn't yet reach the state where I could choose whether to Install Mac OS X or to run the Apple Hardware Test... Even if my intention was to install the Mac OS X remotely, it wouldn't have worked.

I am curious. Perhaps the subject should be Booting from Network Issue?

Trouble in Running AHT Remotely via Network

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.