Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mountain Lion NFS Mounts Missing In Disk Utility

After upgrading to Mountain Lion, the NFS Mounts option in Disk Utility is no longer present.

Is there another application which can be used to configure NFS mounts or how would I go about configuring these in the command line? I would like for the NFS mounts to auto-mount at boot for all users.

OS X Mountain Lion

Posted on Jul 27, 2012 5:24 AM

11 replies

Jul 28, 2012 6:44 AM in response to Clint W.

Using one of the templates from my previous post, here is my configuration:

$ sudo vi /etc/autofs.conf

In this file, add 'resvport' to the AUTOMOUNTD_MNTOPTS stanza

$ sudo vi /etc/auto_master

#

# Automounter master map

#

+auto_master # Use directory service

/net -hosts -nobrowse,hidefromfinder,nosuid

/home auto_home -nobrowse,hidefromfinder

/Network/Servers -fstab

/- -static

### All lines above are default ###

/- /etc/automounts/nfs

$ sudo mkdir /etc/automounts

$ sudo vi /etc/automounts/nfs

Add the following to your /etc/automounts/nfs file:

/Network/iTunes -fstype=nfs,rw,bg,hard,intr,tcp 10.0.0.9:/mnt/array1/iTunes

Jul 29, 2012 9:51 AM in response to ph00n

See also https://plus.google.com/100089265708813302694/posts/eJ5EevKA2y3

Specifically, it seems that using dscl or the aformentioned NFSManager is the only way to edit/delete existing mounts you had previously defined through the UI in Disk Utility.

I am not pleased that Apple removed this. It wasn't in the best place, but people actually were using it.

Jul 29, 2012 11:12 AM in response to recursive251

I was hoping that they just moved this functionality to another spot, and you are right. I was also using it to manage my NFS mounts. I have been wondering if getting the 'server' add-on would be useful. I am hearing very polar reviews about it. The latest being there is no native DHCP server. I'm not really concerned about that, but I would like an easier way to manage my NFS mounts.

Aug 31, 2012 5:27 PM in response to ph00n

Never mind! Just reread and got the full context of the question. Sorry. ;-)

----------

Yes, removing the interface was pretty silly. But why not just use cmd-K (Go|Connect to Server...) from Finder?

It's pretty simple, just type in the nfs://server/export and away you go. Hit the "+" to add it to the favorites.

Also, if you add a folder from this NFS server to your sidebar, or ever in the future access a file from it in an Open Recent list, it will automatically reconnect the server.

Easy peasy.

(I do use autofs for the exports I always need, but the Finder way is pretty darned simple for accessing the once-in-a-while stuff.)

Message was edited by: musikia

Aug 31, 2012 11:23 PM in response to musikia

So, according to this I bumped in such a problem. Befor on Lion I had a mount nfs via disk utility, and than I bought a macbook (previouse was mac mini at work) and migrate to it. So I still have mounted nfs volume, but at home it does no exist so my finder hangs 😟 and I to be honest could not find any configs in /etc to find way to turn it off 😟 will try later at work some other nfs managers, at home I can't because just getting my finder and everything connected to nfs in hang stat 😟

Any ideas, where the config should be ?

Sep 1, 2012 7:52 AM in response to daavaa

Prior to OS X Mountain Lion, we had to ability to setup up static NFS-Mounts via the disk-utility.
This feature is now removed under ML.
So, what if you want to change your old settings or delete them?
I was glad to find a CLI-Tool to change/delete my NFS settings.
$ sudo dscl . -list /Mounts
172.16.0.59:/volume1/music
172.16.0.59:/volume1/video

$ sudo dscl . -delete /Mounts

You should be able to modify the settings as well but I just needed to delete the static mountpoints. I have found that Finder is very picky when it handles mounts. It is frustrating when Finder will just hang forever. I got rid of my old mount points using the command line, and then re-added them (see previous posts) after installing 10.8 and my mounts are working just great. When I am not on my home network with my NFS shares, Finder doesn't complain or hang. When I get home and try and access the share, it mounts and works very well.
From another blog posting:

OS X uses the Autofs stack to mount network file systems. A good introduction to Autofs on OS X stating that:

OS X uses an autofs code stack based on Sun's Solaris version of Unix. Many of the advanced features are not documented very well, and this can be an issue unless you are familiar with Solaris.

Autofs is often used in enterprise environments to set up network-based home directories and other network mounts for users at login. It can also dynamically mount network shares on access.

By default, Autofs mounts network files systems defined via Directory Services, those defined in

/etc/fstab
and NFS file systems, all accordingly to its master table,
/etc/auto_master

If you want to define mount points not covered by Autofs default configuration without resorting to Directory Services or the deprecated

/etc/fstab
, you will have to add a mapping (via a auto_* file) to
auto_master

Sep 21, 2012 1:17 PM in response to Clint W.

Autofs is used in enterprise networks for home directory, but only sparingly because autofs takes over directories and often has funky behaviour. Autofs is also a very poor choice if you want something always available as autofs likes to unmount things that aren't being used at the moment which is often undesired. Removing the the access to specify mounts from Disk Utility was a poor choice and autofs isn't a fix for it. The best implementation so far of autofs is Sun's er... Oracles, and even its wonky for most things.

Mountain Lion NFS Mounts Missing In Disk Utility

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.